New Debt Crisis

It really is like entering a third world country in some parts of Sheffield.

Due respect Anna but in that case I doubt you've seen the real third world.

Is The Church recognised as a charity? If so does it pay tax?

Well I do know Eton is a charity so anything's possible...

Well I do know Eton is a charity so anything's possible...

What does Eton have to do with the church?

No idea, but I don't see why it should be.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 16:34 ----------

So why is his opinion any more valid than anyone else's? Especially so as he leads such a sheltered life.

He at least sees people from all walks of life, is a Christian and helps with charitable enterprises. But as I've said this isn't about him, it is a report from the Institute for Public Policy Research.

Why not discuss what they say instead of attacking the messenger.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 17:03 ----------

Due respect Anna but in that case I doubt you've seen the real third world.

I have actually, and the bits they show on TV are not always representative of the country as a whole. India for example has some phenominally rich areas. It's now the third richest country in the world, but you wouldn't know it looking at the slums. It's the gap between rich and poor that marks it out.

Edited by Anna B

But you never see the millions of people that can't afford these things! If you base your assumptions about society from all the people drinking champagne at the party you're going to think everyone's rich. The divide between those who can afford these things and those who can't is increasing massively.

I often come into Sheffield via Dore, Whirlow, Ecclesall and the other beautiful leafy suburbs on the west side of Sheffield, and am struck by the utter contrast with areas elsewhere in the city. It really is like entering a third world country in some parts of Sheffield.

I would seriously suggest anyone still doubting the lack of money in society to try a visit to the other side of town to see how the other half live. It's not pretty.

So you imagine everyone living in those leafy suburbs have had everything given to them, and want to tax them accordingly.

One of my siblings lives in a place like that, they've got two expensive cars and have plenty of foreign holidays, worked for everything they've got, coming from a working class background and there's no jealousy from me and the rest of the family.

As regards contrasts with other areas, there's no reason why anyone with a will to work can't better their standards but unfortunately we've now got a benefit culture with a lot feeling a sense of entitlement, and the left encouraging that.

Why not discuss what they say instead of attacking the messenger.

Left wing think tank wants people to pay more tax....what's new?

What does Eton have to do with the church?

What does Eton have to do with a charity?

What does Eton have to do with a charity?

You brought Eton up Anna...start a new thread about it if you want...you're trying to deflect the argument..If the Church pays no tax (which I don't know,that's why I asked the question) then it's a bit rich ( :) ) of the Arch Bishop to be asking everyone else to..

So you imagine everyone living in those leafy suburbs have had everything given to them, and want to tax them accordingly.

One of my siblings lives in a place like that, they've got two expensive cars and have plenty of foreign holidays, worked for everything they've got, coming from a working class background and there's no jealousy from me and the rest of the family.

As regards contrasts with other areas, there's no reason why anyone with a will to work can't better their standards but unfortunately we've now got a benefit culture with a lot feeling a sense of entitlement, and the left encouraging that.

When did I say that?

I want more equality that's all. Austerity has affected the already poor more than any other section of society. I think taking money off the poorest is a disgrace, especially the disabled and mentally ill. And then we have a whole raft of people 'just about managing.'

I object to your inferrence that this is motivated by jelousy. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am very securely placed thankyou, and do what I can to help those that are not. I want to see fairness, and like it or not luck and advantage plays a part in all our lives.

I used to be proud that this was partly redressed by this country's social conscience, social mobility, welfare state, NHS, 'free' education etc. But this has been substantially eroded by the Tories.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 17:41 ----------

Left wing think tank wants people to pay more tax....what's new?

We have to pay more tax, and should have been doing so for years, but politicians (all parties) are too lilly livered to bite the bullet. And yes I want a substantial amount of that tax to come from the substantially rich. Especially those who have been dodging tax and getting richer at everyone else's expense.

Oh, and I want to see it spent properly. But that's for another debate.

Edited by Anna B

When did I say that?

I want more equality that's all. Austerity has affected the already poor more than any other section of society. I think taking money off the poorest is a disgrace, especially the disabled and mentally ill. And then we have a whole raft of people 'just about managing.'

I object to your inferrence that this is motivated by jelousy. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am very securely placed thankyou, and do what I can to help those that are not. I want to see fairness, and like it or not luck and advantage plays a part in all our lives.

I used to be proud that this was partly redressed by this country's social conscience, social mobility, welfare state, NHS, 'free' education etc. But this has been substantially eroded by the Tories.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 17:41 ----------

We have to pay more tax, and should have been doing so for years, but politicians (all parties) are too lilly livered to bite the bullet. And yes I want a substantial amount of that tax to come from the substantially rich. Especially those who have been dodging tax and getting richer at everyone else's expense.

Oh, and I want to see it spent properly. But that's for another debate.

I said in my post that I would discount the disabled in my comment and would count the mentally ill in that.

As for your comment about jealousy, that is entirely the motive of most of the left, they always feel it should be someone else paying more tax, as for your leader JC I would also probably discount him from that. I don't hate him and have a certain amount of admiration for his restraint in being one of the lowest claimers of expenses in the commons and his fairly austere lifestyle as I understand it. But that doesn't stop me disagreeing with his policies.

The policies of taxing the wealthy who already pay most of the tax in the country has been done to death on here and its been said many times increasing rates means less tax yield.

I said in my post that I would discount the disabled in my comment and would count the mentally ill in that.

As for your comment about jealousy, that is entirely the motive of most of the left, they always feel it should be someone else paying more tax, as for your leader JC I would also probably discount him from that. I don't hate him and have a certain amount of admiration for his restraint in being one of the lowest claimers of expenses in the commons and his fairly austere lifestyle as I understand it. But that doesn't stop me disagreeing with his policies.

The policies of taxing the wealthy who already pay most of the tax in the country has been done to death on here and its been said many times increasing rates means less tax yield.

Seriously, why would you think that? What possible proof could you have that it's lefty thing? Nobody likes paying more tax. In my experience it's the wealthy, especially those who have more money than they know what to do with, who are most agrieved when they think somebody might be coming for them. Hence their use of barely legal tax dodges.

I have said before, tax should be paid by all but those at the very bottom, at a standard rate, but everybody must pay it in full on everything including assetts, no tax evasion, no taxavoidance, no dodgy accountants. The tax take would be so high everybody would end up paying a lower standard rate than now.

Seriously, why would you think that? What possible proof could you have that it's lefty thing? Nobody likes paying more tax. In my experience it's the wealthy, especially those who have more money than they know what to do with, who are most agrieved when they think somebody might be coming for them. Hence their use of barely legal tax dodges.

I have said before, tax should be paid by all but those at the very bottom, at a standard rate, but everybody must pay it in full on everything including assetts, no tax evasion, no taxavoidance, no dodgy accountants. The tax take would be so high everybody would end up paying a lower standard rate than now.

Seriously yes, it's the mantra from the left 'tax the wealthy' this is the only forum I ever look at or go on but I'm sure others are the same, In virtually every thread about politics that is the main theme from the left.

As for you saying that there should be one rate of income tax I bet the wealthy would be with you on that one, most would probably save a fortune.