New Debt Crisis

I don't think any of what spilldig said is untrue..you must have seen it yourself..according to your link the JRF definition of poverty is someone who earns less than 60% of median earnings..so that's someone on about 17k these days..addmittedly not everyone is able to afford all those things but there's still a lot of people with enough spare cash to do it..

Didn't we find and discuss flaws in that Rowntree "poverty" survey from 2017?

I don't think any of what spilldig said is untrue

So you think it's true that.

everyone seems to have plenty of money.

I don't.

I think many people do, but to claim that everyone does is ludicrous.

I don't like the 60% definition of poverty, but it's a fact that food bank usage under tory austerity has risen from 10's of thousands to millions! And this isn't a case of people using them because they're available, they have to be referred by an agency.

So you think it's true that.

I don't.

I think many people do, but to claim that everyone does is ludicrous.

I don't like the 60% definition of poverty, but it's a fact that food bank usage under tory austerity has risen from 10's of thousands to millions! And this isn't a case of people using them because they're available, they have to be referred by an agency.

You need to read the bit where I said "Admittedly not everyone is able to afford all those things"

Didn't we find and discuss flaws in that Rowntree "poverty" survey from 2017?

We did. At great length including JRF's very dubious definition of "poverty" and their fag packet mathematics on what THEY deem to be some minimum income level that everyone should demand.

However, it never stops the regulars on there beating that same old drum.

Round and round it goes. JRF publish some report, the papers snip out the jucy bits and publish those and then is trickles down to this forum where posters snip out the headline figures only and state it as fact to suit their agenda.

YES. Some people are struggling more than others. YES. Some people earn little whilst others earn a lot..... but "POVERTY". I am not convinced.

Spilldig's earlier comment is absolutely valid. Take a look around at what the majority of the population are doing. Even the so called lowest earners.

Take a look around your average shopping mall or superstore on a weekend. They are not all high rollers with their gucci store cards and jimmy choos.

Take a look around your sports stadia, cinemas, restaurants, pubs and clubs. They are not all balllers popping the champagne corks.

Look at the traffic. Look at the trains. All packed with people going about their day.

Someone is putting money in the tills and its not all about those nasty disgusting evil "rich" people.

Said before and will say again. People need to pull their head out and take a look what real poverty is. This country is nowhere close. With the extreme exceptions of the phyically and mentally disabled through no fault of their own, nobody has a right to scream the word "poverty". Those to do need to take a long hard look at thieir own failures.

We have an NHS. We have a minimum wage set in law. We have a universal welfare benefits system for all citizens. We have statutory instruments to provide a bed to sleep in and a roof over someone's head for the night even if they are at their most desprate state.

Countries around the world (including some of the richest and most westernised) could only dream of that level of assistance.

I'd say he was trying to make the point that terms and conditions were changed after the contracts were signed and in action. In a way that in a commercial contract would be impossible and/or fraudulent.

A point he'd already made and which was being disputed but which the link rather conclusively proves is correct.

No, virtually all of his points have been about calling it a debt despite being shown that it isn't one. So i was asking how does he see it and what is his answer to funding university education.

As far as I can see everyone seems to have plenty of money. All the roads are chock full of cars, every concert booked solid weeks in advance, restaurants so packed you have to make reservations, airports packed with people going on holiday, people queing up for lottery tickets and scratch cards, and spending a fortune down at Bramall Lane and Hillsborough, etc, etc.

But you never see the millions of people that can't afford these things! If you base your assumptions about society from all the people drinking champagne at the party you're going to think everyone's rich. The divide between those who can afford these things and those who can't is increasing massively.

I often come into Sheffield via Dore, Whirlow, Ecclesall and the other beautiful leafy suburbs on the west side of Sheffield, and am struck by the utter contrast with areas elsewhere in the city. It really is like entering a third world country in some parts of Sheffield.

I would seriously suggest anyone still doubting the lack of money in society to try a visit to the other side of town to see how the other half live. It's not pretty.

Edited by Anna B

I see the Archbishop of Canterbury is moaning about austerity and unfairness, not bad coming from a bloke who lives in a palace.

He could help out by selling off some of the property owned by the C of E and donating it to the poor, but that ain't going to happen.

It's hilarious how the moaning about austerity on here usually comes from those who are on here all day. Sympathising with the feckless and benefit breeders.

As been said on here before there's not many living in poverty in the U.K. Most can afford smart phones costing hundreds of quid, and plenty are still smoking, drinking and getting tattoos and body piercings.

The other year look north featured a food bank that was closing in Barnsley, most of the people there complaining were about four stone overweight

Virtually full employment, so a simple solution, try working for a living if you can't afford something. Of course I don't include the disabled in that comment.

I see the Archbishop of Canterbury is moaning about austerity and unfairness, not bad coming from a bloke who lives in a palace.

Is The Church recognised as a charity? If so does it pay tax?

He could help out by selling off some of the property owned by the C of E and donating it to the poor, but that ain't going to happen.

It's hilarious how the moaning about austerity on here usually comes from those who are on here all day. Sympathising with the feckless and benefit breeders.

As been said on here before there's not many living in poverty in the U.K. Most can afford smart phones costing hundreds of quid, and plenty are still smoking, drinking and getting tattoos and body piercings.

The other year look north featured a food bank that was closing in Barnsley, most of the people there complaining were about four stone overweight

Virtually full employment, so a simple solution, try working for a living if you can't afford something. Of course I don't include the disabled in that comment.

Actually, the Archbishop is just a co-writer of a the report written by the Institute for Public Policy Research. it is they who are saying these things.

They are suggesting Higher Capital gains tax, and taxes on dividends, netting up to £27 Billion a year, a £13 Billion a year Corporation tax hike, the creation of £186 Billion a year 'Citizen's Wealth Fund' by 2030, and getting Multinationals to pay their dues. (All more or less policies previously put forward by Jeremy Corbyn, just sayin'.)

They also want Inheritance tax to be replaced by a gift tax, where an individual would be able to receice £125,000 over their lifetime tax free, with any further gifts subject to tax.

We were looking for ideas, these sound OK to me.

Edited by Anna B

Is The Church recognised as a charity? If so does it pay tax?

No idea, but I don't see why it should be.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 16:34 ----------

Actually, the Archbishop is just a co-writer of a the report written by the Institute for Public Policy Research. it is they who are saying these things.

So why is his opinion any more valid than anyone else's? Especially so as he leads such a sheltered life.

Well,being a left wing think tank they would say this wouldn't they?