Tory's want to subsidise newpapers out of your taxes

This has been kept rather quiet but there is a thing called the Cairncross Review which is "examining the sustainability of high-quality journalism in the UK"

What this means is if a "high-quality" newspaper is seen to be failing, i.e. no one is buying it, then the Government is considering subsidising this privately owned company so it can stay in business and it is thinking of doing this using your tax money.

Who decides which newspapers print "high-quality" news ?

Well it won't be the people buying a copy or paying for it through their taxes

The Government will decide which privately owned business is printing "high-quality" news

The Government will also decide what constitutes "high-quality" news

So of course there will be no possibility of this just being a scheme to funnel tax payer money into the pockets of the Rothermeres (Daily Mail), Reach Plc (Daily Express) or News Corps (The Sun) after all these groups have no influence in the House of commons do they ?

And it's possible the Guardian & Independent could be funded this way too, after all who knows which party will form the Government in future

So if anyone has feelings either way on the idea that their hard earned tax money should subsidise a private company that produces a newspaper they don't actually read and would like to pass comment on this idea, there is an open consultation and you can find the details here

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/call-for-evidence-on-sustainable-high-quality-journalism-in-the-uk

If you choose to respond then, whatever your feelings on this matter, please be polite

Does this report assume the newspapers still print high quality news though??

Some would beg to differ.

It seems to assume that some newpapers pring print high quality news, it doesn't seem to mention which ones they make that assumption about though

I may have missed where specific newspapers are mentioned though

Edited by esme
typo

There's some high quality investigative journalism in most of the broadsheets but its surrounded by inaccurate puff pieces and gobby opinions dressed as fact.

Does this report assume the newspapers still print high quality news though??

Some would beg to differ.

exactly, it sounds like a trump style, call the ones you dont like fake news and the ones you like pay to promote

Oo

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/720124/Caincross_call_for_evidence_govuk.pdf

6) High-quality journalism plays a critical role in our democratic system, in

particular through holding power to account, and its independence must

be safeguarded. In light of this, what do you consider to be the most

effective and efficient policy levers to deliver a sustainable future for

high quality journalism?

a) Where, if at all, should any intervention be targeted and why (for

example, at the local level, or at specific types of journalism)?

b) What do you think are or should be the respective responsibilities of

industry, individuals and government, in addressing the issues we have

identified?

c) If there is a case for subsidising high-quality journalism, where should

any funding support come from?

i) What form should it take?

ii) How or where should it be targeted?

Where on Earth did you get your baiting 'facts' from your opening post? It doesn't even suggest subsidisation by Government.

Where on Earth did you get your baiting 'facts' from your opening post? It doesn't even suggest subsidisation by Government.

Perhaps it came from one of the sources of 'high quality journalism' :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Perhaps it came from one of the sources of 'high quality journalism' :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I can't even get Google results about the Cairncross Review that suggests the Government will subsidise anything, let alone buy newspapers.

Ironically I feel like the opening post is pure fake news.

From one of the links on the page referred to https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/720124/Caincross_call_for_evidence_govuk.pdf

Chapter 6

High-quality journalism plays a critical role in our democratic system, in particular through holding power to account, and its independence must be safeguarded. In light of this, what do you consider to be the most effective and efficient policy levers to deliver a sustainable future for high quality journalism?

a) Where, if at all, should any intervention be targeted and why (for example, at the local level, or at specific types of journalism)?

b) What do you think are or should be the respective responsibilities of industry, individuals and government, in addressing the issues we have identified?

c) If there is a case for subsidising high-quality journalism, where should any funding support come from?

i) What form should it take?

ii) How or where should it be targeted?

Key words "policy levers", "intervention", "subsidising", "funding support" you really think they haven't got eyes on money from the treasury, you think Lord Rothermere wouldn't be interested in a revenue stream provided by the Government ? The panel is already stuffed with media representatives.

Try getting a denial out of a politician, a straight yes or no, personally I trust politicians about as far as I can spit one. If you haven't told them you don't want your taxes to pay for these things then it will be an option, they will assume you are in favour or at least will trust their judgement in the matter, wouldn't you rather express an opinion & try to remove the option.

Why is the Government getting involved at all ? These are private enterprises if they cannot adapt to a changing marketplace then they should go under or be sold to someone who can manage the business.

If supermarkets were struggling because home delivery services with huge robotic warehouses were taking their custom the Government would shrug & say "market forces", privately owned newspapers are no different.

But fine call it fake news, don't express an opinion, wait and see what they do.

That's exactly what I linked in post #7 and I still don't understand where you are getting your conclusion from.

You are coming up with an idea that even the press themselves haven't thought of, and they would be the most resistant to it. The most common idea is that some form of funding will be extracted from Google/Facebook etc to support journalism in the digital age, not for the Government to buy failing newspapers as you suggest.

I see no mention of Government taking some of our tax to subsidise a particular news paper.

Angel1.