US boy, 9, killed himself after homophobic bullying

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45323933

A nine-year-old boy has killed himself after enduring four days of homophobic bullying at school in Denver, Colorado, his mother says.

Leia Pierce told KDVR-TV that her son, Jamel Myles, revealed to her over the summer that he was gay.

She said Jamel wanted to go to school and tell his classmates because he was "proud" to be gay.

Maybe I don't understand it, but...how can you know that at 9? :huh:

Maybe the child concerned wasn't gay. Perhaps he enjoyed things not considered 'correct' for boys, or was sensitive - this was considered gay.

Whichever, the focus should be on the bullies. They're the ones with the problems. Hope the consequences of their actions are spelt clearly out to them. And the school who failed to safeguard the child from his tormentors.

Maybe the child concerned wasn't gay. Perhaps he enjoyed things not considered 'correct' for boys, or was sensitive - this was considered gay.

Whichever, the focus should be on the bullies. They're the ones with the problems. Hope the consequences of their actions are spelt clearly out to them. And the school who failed to safeguard the child from his tormentors.

Well said.

I don't think you read the article, the child told them he was gay after coming out to his parents. I'm in the same mind as the op how can a 9 year old come to that decision so young. Nether less terrible outcome for him.

Does it matter if he could tell?

He was probably ritually bullied by someone because he identified with different things.

Is it right to bully him? In fact is it right to question his right to identify as gay?

My grandson at 5 has already been bullied into not wearing pink clothes - so how many 5 years olds identify pink clothes as wrong for boys - non but there parents probably do.

In the past month I have dealt with four suicides in my job as wellbeing officer. The devastation each left behind just demonstrate how far we are from understanding the impacts on society that mental health has.

The sooner we get rid of un-nuanced opinions relating to suicide the better.

I am sure lots of children get bullied, why this boy committed suicide us forumers may never know.

I am sure lots of children get bullied, why this boy committed suicide us forumers may never know.

Do you want a long list of kids who have killed themselves because they were bullied for other reasons apart from the one that starts the thread? It's very much out there.

The adult world doesn't get to shrug it's shoulders and go "who knows" when a child of nine kills themself because they think that's the better option.

Post(s) have been removed because they could be considered to breach our Terms of Service or Forum Rules.

Do you want a long list of kids who have killed themselves because they were bullied for other reasons apart from the one that starts the thread? It's very much out there.

The adult world doesn't get to shrug it's shoulders and go "who knows" when a child of nine kills themself because they think that's the better option.

Do we really know? A child local to where I live is reported to have killed himself because of exam/school stress.

Why, when many, many go through stress, bullying, exams ect do some kill themselves, but then the majority cope quite well?

Do we really know? A child local to where I live is reported to have killed himself because of exam/school stress.

Why, when many, many go through stress, bullying, exams ect do some kill themselves, but then the majority cope quite well?

Because people are different to one another?