Drivers on the Stocksbridge bypass

Might it not be altered to one now? That might be safer for everyone.

The costs involved would be tremendous even if it were practical now,new bridges cuttings etc etc.

you are correct the road design, although not perfect, is perfectly good enough if used correctly. The road would have been built as a dual carriage way if the funds had been available at the time of construction,1980s.

Given that the same drivers use this one as every other road, but this one has more accidents the road design is clearly not good enough is it.

True of all speed limits, but if you don't drive at close to the speed limit in your driving test (when there is no reason to not do) then you'll attract a minor fault.

Driving 20% below the speed limit without good reason is poor driving.

Is that true for us cyclists as well? And why do I need to ask what Chuck Norris would do? Who is he? Does he advocate sticking to the speed limit?

Of course it isn't true for cyclists, for a start most don't have speedometers, and secondly it would be rare that you could attain the limit on any road except a 30.

It's also not true for pedestrians, horses, tractors, invalid carriages or skateboards!

When Chuck Norris breaks the speed limit, no one can put it back together again

Is it chuck Norris from the martial arts films ?

Yes, they say that after he was born he drove his mother back home :o

And speaking of dangerous roads, there used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.

Assuming that the drivers who use the stocksbridge bypass also drive on other roads, we can simply look at the rate of accidents and see whether a road is more/less dangerous than any other.

It's pointless to then blame the drivers, individually they are most likely at fault, but when a road has a higher level of accidents/mile driven than another road, it's likely that the reason is down to something fundamental about the road isn't it. It's not that drivers suddenly become suicidal or dangerous when they join that road.

So with that established, you can look at the rate of accidents and conclude that the SB is somehow in design, dangerous (or more dangerous than other similar A roads anyway).

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 11:20 ----------

Why are you driving 10mph below the speed limit?

I retired in 2006, when the speed limit was 40 for HGV's. The 50 mph was brought in on April 2015. Well after my HGV driving ended.

Angel1

Sorry Cyclone I usually drive at 40mph in a 50mph zone, and I"m not a poor driver.

You are correct, you are not a poor driver, you are an atrocious driver and should be banned from the roads in the same way an excessive speeder should.

You do realise that when you say your doing '40', you will be actually going around the 36-37 mph range ?

You are correct, you are not a poor driver, you are an atrocious driver and should be banned from the roads in the same way an excessive speeder should.

You do realise that when you say your doing '40', you will be actually going around the 36-37 mph range ?

Speed kills, 40ish is plenty fast enough for me, poor driver, atrocious driver, no, safe driver yes...….