The Three Tuns

Guest makapaka
Your point seemed to be that someone should go there, even though they don't like the beer on offer.

You segued into insulting them for liking different beers to you.

The fact is that people do like different beers, and since there are now plenty of pubs that will cater for those tastes, why would anyone drink in a pub that has a selection they don't particularly like? :huh:

I had to re-read this given that it was a month ago but I haven't insulted anyone.

I also haven't said anything about the beers I like.

Edited by makapaka

It was blade08 who was being really insulting, you just said that drinking real ale didn't make people cool (a strawman, nobody had claimed it did).

And I didn't comment on what kind of beers you liked.

Guest makapaka
It was blade08 who was being really insulting, you just said that drinking real ale didn't make people cool (a strawman, nobody had claimed it did).

And I didn't comment on what kind of beers you liked.

No - it was in reply to a comment that said "Drink some more carling black label mate - you're showing your class".

The inference being that it was unclassy to drink Carling black label - and more classy to drink real ale - neither of which are true. The drink does not elevate your status in any way.

It wasn't a straw man argument - it was a response to that post.

You then said that I segued into insulting someone which isn't true as you acknowledge it was another poster.

You said i did this for liking different beers to myself - this isn't correct either - as I have never said what beers I liked.

The drink might give some clues to social status or income, but generally, no, I'd agree that it's not an indicator of class.

No, since the insult was from blade08, the reason for the insult was also from blade08.

Anyway, can you think of a good reason anyone should go and drink in a pub where they don't like the selection of beer? That was what you were suggesting wasn't it?

Guest makapaka
The drink might give some clues to social status or income, but generally, no, I'd agree that it's not an indicator of class.

No, since the insult was from blade08, the reason for the insult was also from blade08.

Anyway, can you think of a good reason anyone should go and drink in a pub where they don't like the selection of beer? That was what you were suggesting wasn't it?

I think if the Three Tuns was to close down and become another Nisa local, people might wish they could have managed to try one of a number of the available ales / lagers / wines / spirts that the pub sells on occasion - rather than avoid it altogether as it doesn't meet their specific tastes at that time.

I don't think drinking anything makes you cool, apart from water when you're you're really hot and thirsty.

I took slight objection to the post from blade08 who obviously feels that people who like real ale are some kind of snobbish, elitist group. Maybe some are, but that's about applying stereotypes to all who like their real ale - which is why I responded with another stereotype - the cheap and classless lager drinker. I don't think that everyone who drinks a certain brand of lager is cheap and classless - but some are.

I think there is a link between social class and certain things. If you've not been exposed to certain experiences then you are less likely to be knowledgeable about them and may even feel threatened by them.

Back to the 3 Tuns itself and I remember it being a very nice town centre pub a few years ago - and they had some decent guest beers on cask. This was at a time when most pubs didn't have cask ales. So, it offered something a bit different in the town centre.

Things have changed a lot since then. Every pub in the land has now got a cask ale or two on the bar - because the big brewers have realised that this is business they were missing out on. So we've seen them buy out what were once independent breweries making good beer - and in some cases, they've changed the recipe to make those beers more profitable - and then got mass distribution.

So, you can get your "real ale" just about anywhere now - although there is real ale - as in the mass produced crap that are distributed by the big breweries - and there's real ale that is made by small microbreweries, much of which is really innovative stuff, mixing different types of hops with a variety of flavours (coffee, fruits, spirits) to produce something that is really different.

My preference is for the microbrewery stuff. I just find the whole range of these beers far more enjoyable than the standard real ales. It sounds like the 3 Tuns is going for the standard real ale stuff - and if so - then it's unlikely that I personally will be bothered about drinking there.

That's my prerogative I think? Just like it's their prerogative to serve what beers they want. I suspect the majority of folks don't really care too much what they drink tbh! So my absence shouldn't cause anyone a problem.

I think if the Three Tuns was to close down and become another Nisa local, people might wish they could have managed to try one of a number of the available ales / lagers / wines / spirts that the pub sells on occasion - rather than avoid it altogether as it doesn't meet their specific tastes at that time.

I disagree. There are dozens of bars in the city centre that I don't visit because they don't serve what I like.

I couldn't care less if they close down, and I'm certainly not going to visit them and drink something I don't like to try and keep them afloat.

Businesses choose what to serve, consumers choose where to shop. To suggest that you should buy things you don't like in order to keep a business afloat is ludicrous.

and I see no reason to go in a pub that doesn't serve a range of beer that we can all enjoy.

Friends, family, weddings, birthdays, etc.

What happens if you are asked to attend a wedding and the bar at the reception only serves Carling, do you refuse to attend?

What happens if you are asked to attend a wedding and the bar at the reception only serves Carling, do you refuse to attend?

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

I see no reason to choose to go to pubs that serve drinks I don't like WHEN ITS MY CHOICE. Which it generally is, since I go out for a drink about once a fortnight with friends and we go to places we all agree on.

In the much rarer occasion of birthdays, I might have to go somewhere with a poor selection. But you're willfully missing the point.

"people might wish they could have managed to try one of a number of the available ales / lagers / wines / spirts that the pub sells on occasion - rather than avoid it altogether as it doesn't meet their specific tastes at that time."

No, I won't ever wish that I chose to go there to drink something I don't want, even if closes again. Closed or with drinks I don't like is exactly the same for me, not useful.

If for some odd reason there is an event there, work would be the most likely, then I'll happily go, although I probably won't drink much.

---------- Post added 02-08-2017 at 12:41 ----------

In fact this happened recently, what happened was that I didn't drink and instead of staying the night we cancelled the room and drove home at 2100.

Guest makapaka
I disagree. There are dozens of bars in the city centre that I don't visit because they don't serve what I like.

I couldn't care less if they close down, and I'm certainly not going to visit them and drink something I don't like to try and keep them afloat.

Businesses choose what to serve, consumers choose where to shop. To suggest that you should buy things you don't like in order to keep a business afloat is ludicrous.

Well I could care less. I'm sure some others would also.

I put some value on the venue as much as the drink so would be willing to accept something that's maybe not my first preference to maintain the venue.

Having to switch to what was described as a well kept Farmers Blonde which would contribute to maintain the Three Tuns doesn't fill me with as much dread as it seems to others.

Well I could care less. I'm sure some others would also.

I put some value on the venue as much as the drink so would be willing to accept something that's maybe not my first preference to maintain the venue.

Having to switch to what was described as a well kept Farmers Blonde which would contribute to maintain the Three Tuns doesn't fill me with as much dread as it seems to others.

Good post, if a pub keeps their ales in top condition it doesn't matter what I drink.

The amount of snobbery on this thread is just laughable.

Good post, if a pub keeps their ales in top condition it doesn't matter what I drink.

The amount of snobbery on this thread is just laughable.

So knowing what I like and don't like, and not wanting to throw money away on something I know I'm not going to enjoy, is snobbery? Doesn't matter to me how well kept it is, it's still doombar and farmers blonde, which, in my personal opinion, are both bland, boring beers that I have no desire to drink. Why would spend my money on something that does nothing at all for me, when I could walk down the hill to the shakey and find plenty of beer I actually enjoy?