The Three Tuns

For me the three things listed above are allowed to have varying priority, as long as the sum of all three comes to 100%, and no one thing is really bad. For example, I am equally as happy to drink in the Shakespeare mainly for beer and service as I am in the Broomhill Tav (pub, service) or the Fat Cat (beer, pub).

If beer was my only criterion for going somewhere I'd just drink at home all the time ;)

The very fact that people are so upset at the thought of being told they are missing out just shows they know they secretly are but can’t bring themselves to admit it.

People can come up with as many uncomparable scenarios as they wish - but if you go around saying you won’t go in pubs that doesn’t sell a specific drink you are going to miss out on good experiences in other pubs - that’s if you like pubs at all - as it seems to me some people would be better off just buying from an off license.

Why haven't you addressed the question of the pubs I listed. Do you visit them all, I hope you're not missing out on any of them!

I like how you've managed to condense "Stouts and Porters" down to "a specific" drink now, as if I'm requiring every pub to sell "Farmers Stout" or something before I'll drink there.

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:51 ----------

Who mentioned anything about drinking “crap” or drinking lager.

An uncomparable scenario would be a vegetarian visiting a steak house.

It's actually a very good analogy. You've been suggesting for pages that I should drink beer I don't like in order to 'not miss out'

People can go where they like I’ve never said otherwise.

You heavily criticised not going to, well, anywhere, for reasons related to beer. Presumably your own criteria for not going somewhere are perfectly acceptable though.

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:52 ----------

I said that if people don't care about where they drink - as long as they have the specific drink they like - than what would it matter if they drank it at home or in a pub or for that matter anywhere other than a public house.

Nobody ever said that they don't care about where they drink.

That would be a strawman.

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:55 ----------

For me the three things listed above are allowed to have varying priority, as long as the sum of all three comes to 100%, and no one thing is really bad. For example, I am equally as happy to drink in the Shakespeare mainly for beer and service as I am in the Broomhill Tav (pub, service) or the Fat Cat (beer, pub).

If beer was my only criterion for going somewhere I'd just drink at home all the time ;)

Fair enough, and we should all decide for ourselves I think without being criticised.

Personally I haven't been in the Broomhill tavern in half a decade, and probably won't go in for another half. But I like the Fat Cat and Shakespeares, both of which regularly serve beer that I like. (Not that they're in competition with the Broomhill Tavern of course, I'd rather go in the York or at a pinch the Fox and Duck as again they'll almost certainly have a dark beer on tap).

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:58 ----------

I think if the Three Tuns was to close down and become another Nisa local, people might wish they could have managed to try one of a number of the available ales / lagers / wines / spirts that the pub sells on occasion - rather than avoid it altogether as it doesn't meet their specific tastes at that time.

Here we go. You actually did say that people should drink beer they don't like for the purposes of keeping a place open.

Guest makapaka
Why haven't you addressed the question of the pubs I listed. Do you visit them all, I hope you're not missing out on any of them!

I like how you've managed to condense "Stouts and Porters" down to "a specific" drink now, as if I'm requiring every pub to sell "Farmers Stout" or something before I'll drink there.

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:51 ----------

It's actually a very good analogy. You've been suggesting for pages that I should drink beer I don't like in order to 'not miss out'

You heavily criticised not going to, well, anywhere, for reasons related to beer. Presumably your own criteria for not going somewhere are perfectly acceptable though.

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:52 ----------

Nobody ever said that they don't care about where they drink.

That would be a strawman.

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:55 ----------

Fair enough, and we should all decide for ourselves I think without being criticised.

Personally I haven't been in the Broomhill tavern in half a decade, and probably won't go in for another half. But I like the Fat Cat and Shakespeares, both of which regularly serve beer that I like. (Not that they're in competition with the Broomhill Tavern of course, I'd rather go in the York or at a pinch the Fox and Duck as again they'll almost certainly have a dark beer on tap).

---------- Post added 15-09-2018 at 08:58 ----------

Here we go. You actually did say that people should drink beer they don't like for the purposes of keeping a place open.

All that just to pretend you’re not bothered about excluding yourself from pubs that don’t have a specific stout on.

Odd.

All that just to pretend you’re not bothered about excluding yourself from pubs that don’t have a specific stout on.

Odd.

You are the odd one. Telling people they should go to pubs to drink stuff they don't like just to appreciate the decor or the atmosphere.

I get violently sick after eating restaurant curries.....am I missing out on the ambiance, piped music, service and conviviality of an Indian restaurant just because I don't want to be spewing from both ends?

In your world I should go anyway, just to keep them open. :loopy:

Guest makapaka
You are the odd one. Telling people they should go to pubs to drink stuff they don't like just to appreciate the decor or the atmosphere.

I get violently sick after eating restaurant curries.....am I missing out on the ambiance, piped music, service and conviviality of an Indian restaurant just because I don't want to be spewing from both ends?

In your world I should go anyway, just to keep them open. :loopy:

No that’s just another daft comparison to try and take an argument to an extreme to make it seem implausible.

I’m saying that if you only go to pubs that serve a specific drink than you will miss out on other good pub experiences.

Why is that an odd thing to say?

Odd.

Why are you still trying to convince me it's worth going to pubs that don't serve drinks I like? :roll:

---------- Post added 17-09-2018 at 07:30 ----------

No that’s just another daft comparison to try and take an argument to an extreme to make it seem implausible.

I’m saying that if you only go to pubs that serve a specific drink than you will miss out on other good pub experiences.

Why is that an odd thing to say?

Not implausible, stupid, ridiculous and so on.

You're still trying to pretend that "Stouts and Porters" are a "specific drink". Yes, like "lager" or "red wine"...

If you go to pubs that don't serve drinks you like you'll miss out on DRINKING a drink that you LIKE. Can you see how that works? :confused:

---------- Post added 17-09-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Perhaps you don't go in the Sportsman, or Weatherspoons or Lloyds, maybe you don't go in Bungalow and Bears or the Forum, maybe the Red Deer or Revolution de Cuba are not to your taste.

Whichever place you don't like, you should be forced to go there so that you don't "miss out". :roll:

I'm still waiting for you to answer this... Although I'm sure you're going to keep trying to avoid it.

Which of the venues listed above do you frequent? Of the ones that you don't... Well, missing out... Why would you not go somewhere, anywhere, I bet you have a whole list of reasons, music, ambiance, too busy, too quiet, sports on, sports not on, dress code/no dress code.

Whatever reason you give, it's clearly less important than the drinks they serve!

Guest makapaka
Why are you still trying to convince me it's worth going to pubs that don't serve drinks I like? :roll:

---------- Post added 17-09-2018 at 07:30 ----------

Not implausible, stupid, ridiculous and so on.

You're still trying to pretend that "Stouts and Porters" are a "specific drink". Yes, like "lager" or "red wine"...

If you go to pubs that don't serve drinks you like you'll miss out on DRINKING a drink that you LIKE. Can you see how that works? :confused:

---------- Post added 17-09-2018 at 07:32 ----------

I'm still waiting for you to answer this... Although I'm sure you're going to keep trying to avoid it.

Which of the venues listed above do you frequent? Of the ones that you don't... Well, missing out... Why would you not go somewhere, anywhere, I bet you have a whole list of reasons, music, ambiance, too busy, too quiet, sports on, sports not on, dress code/no dress code.

Whatever reason you give, it's clearly less important than the drinks they serve!

As I've said a number of times - you can go where you want - but if your tastes are so specific that you exclude yourself from visiting a large number of pubs you will miss out on some good pub experiences.

Are stouts and porters not specific enough for you then - does it also have to be a specific stout and porter? If so you will limit the number of pubs you can visit even further I suppose.

I don't understand the comment on the pubs - I've been in all of those places. Some less often than others.

And I've been in the 3 tuns, quite clearly, since I could comment on what beers they served.

I'd say that I don't understand your point, but I do, it's just a stupid one.

Guest makapaka
And I've been in the 3 tuns, quite clearly, since I could comment on what beers they served.

I'd say that I don't understand your point, but I do, it's just a stupid one.

You've lost me to be honest. I never said you hadn't been in the 3 Tuns.

Anyway - as long as you're not planning any pub crawls soon you'll be fine.

Guest makapaka
Group hug?

I'm game.............

I noticed this article about the closure of yet another pub in Sheffield. This follows on from the closure of Veeno down the road a few months ago -

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/customers-shock-as-ecclesall-road-prosecco-bar-closes-less-than-one-year-after-opening-1-9354274

Would be very interested to know if some of the people making silly arguments about missing out on experiences went in these places for the 'atmosphere' and if not, why not? According to the article some customers are 'shocked' about this closure. Really? I'm just disappointed that when the students return to Ecclesall Road they will be greeted with yet more empty units again. Not a great advert for Sheffield nightlife. But then it seems that if the pub/bar isn't quirky or traditional then it's no good for Sheffield...

On a more pleasant note I passed workmen doing up the place next to Stone the Crows on Barkers Pool today. It's going to be Barker's Bar apparently. When it opens I'll likely go in once to see what kind of beer they have, then maybe never again. Same thing I'll do if and when the Three Tuns reopens, unless it has a massively better drinks offer. I pay my money and take my choice - like everyone else is free to.