The Three Tuns

Can’t be bothered going over it again to be honest.

Shame about the 3 Tuns though - hope it reopens soon.

You never went over it in the first place.

You simply said that if I avoided bars which didn't sell the drinks I wanted then I'd be missing out on great bars.

It makes no sense. It's like telling me I'm missing out on great restaurants if I avoid ones that sell nothing I want to eat. It's literally nonsensical.

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 09:13 ----------

Having to maintain 47 different beers to please everyone on Sheffield Forum killed it off.

They typically had about 4 hand pulls on, and a small selection of the usual suspects.

Sometimes there'd be a decent dark beer amongst those 4, other times you'd find 3 IPAs and a Pilsner.

Not worth the walk for me from the city centre to risk a choice of no beers that I'd prefer to drink.

Guest makapaka

You simply said that if I avoided bars which didn't sell the drinks I wanted then I'd be missing out on great bars.

It makes no sense. It's like telling me I'm missing out on great restaurants if I avoid ones that sell nothing I want to eat. It's literally nonsensical.

They typically had about 4 hand pulls on, and a small selection of the usual suspects.

Sometimes there'd be a decent dark beer amongst those 4, other times you'd find 3 IPAs and a Pilsner.

Not worth the walk for me from the city centre to risk a choice of no beers that I'd prefer to drink.

It’s not nonsensical if your tastes are such defined that it excludes you from visiting a large number of good pubs and bars - your limited taste precludes you from visiting them you say - so you are missing out on everything else a bar / pub may offer - atmosphere / music / people etc.

That’s not nonsensical it’s a fact.

Choice of 4 "real ales" plus the common lagers and beers seems like a reasonable choice to me. What floats your boat?

It`s all personal and subjective, isn`t it? We`re blessed with lots of great pubs and bars in Sheffield.

Usually I`ll head to places with a vast and varied selection like Shakey`s, Rutty, BrewDog, etc but, personally, I`ll pop into nice pubs like 3 Tuns, Fagans, etc if I have time but I`ll probably not drink much as the selection is limited. That`s just my preference though.

The Three Tuns last day of trading under the most recent management was Saturday 25th August I believe. They ended the lease (it is leased from Punch Taverns and they were contractually tied to source much of the beer via the pub company) as it was starting to lose money following a difficult summer - much of Sheffield tends to die a death in the summer with no students and people on summer holidays, coupled with the world cup and hot weather (the Tuns doesn't have a beer garden) along with the fact that many people have been a bit skint and not been going out to pubs.

The Tuns is a fairly unique classic pub and quite a pleasant place to sit and have a relaxed pint and bar snack. The choice of both food and beer wasn't particularly exciting but it was perfectly acceptable and served to a good standard.

I think the Tuns is an example similar to the Rutland Arms and Shakespeares in that if it was owned independently rather than by Punch Taverns it could be so much more successful (both of those pubs were properties sold off by Punch!).

Edited by Andy C

I really liked the 3 tuns, it's a really unique building and well located as a starting point for Kelham. However, I stopped going in after reet ale dropped it and the beer selection went downhill. I choose the pubs I drink in based on the beer they sell. The surroundings, clientele, ambience etc are secondary. And Im not interested in doom bar, Guinness and carling. Hopefully someone will take it from punch and turn it around, like Chris and Kate did with the rutland.

The Three Tuns last day of trading under the most recent management was Saturday 25th August I believe. They ended the lease (it is leased from Punch Taverns and they were contractually tied to source much of the beer via the pub company) as it was starting to lose money following a difficult summer - much of Sheffield tends to die a death in the summer with no students and people on summer holidays, coupled with the world cup and hot weather (the Tuns doesn't have a beer garden) along with the fact that many people have been a bit skint and not been going out to pubs.

The Tuns is a fairly unique classic pub and quite a pleasant place to sit and have a relaxed pint and bar snack. The choice of both food and beer wasn't particularly exciting but it was perfectly acceptable and served to a good standard.

I think the Tuns is an example similar to the Rutland Arms and Shakespeares in that if it was owned independently rather than by Punch Taverns it could be so much more successful (both of those pubs were properties sold off by Punch!).

Andy, we could start an entire thread called "Pubs that have thrived without PubCo ownership" !

Lions/Yorkshireman, is another one they sold off. I took that for £1 a week in 2007 they sold the freehold in 2010 for circa £180k. Compulsory purchase at some time may be enacted, but a business and 3 bed flat now looks like a steal at that price!

Once a thriving pub that lived by its lunchtime trade from what was then Midland bank across the road. be a shame not to see this back open

Choice of 4 "real ales" plus the common lagers and beers seems like a reasonable choice to me. What floats your boat?

I'm partial to dark beers, stouts or porters. They'd often have one on, but equally often it would run out. Presumably because the popularity has increased over the last few years.

Head just down the road to Shakespeares and it's unusual if they don't have 2 dark beers on, sometimes 3! And they typically have a few bottles/cans as well.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 10:05 ----------

It’s not nonsensical if your tastes are such defined that it excludes you from visiting a large number of good pubs and bars - your limited taste precludes you from visiting them you say - so you are missing out on everything else a bar / pub may offer - atmosphere / music / people etc.

That’s not nonsensical it’s a fact.

It absolutely is nonsensical. You're still trying to argue that I should drink at places that don't serve drinks I like.

Perhaps I should go to bubble tea shops in case they close, despite not wanting bubble tea, and I should frequent the gelato shops that have sprung up everywhere, despite not wanting a desert...

The idea that someone should drink in pubs that don't cater to them, when there are MANY that do is simply stupid.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 10:09 ----------

Good comparisons IMO, I visit both of those, the RA more often, but Shakespeares if I go out for drinks around the Kelham side of town, and given the choice I'd have chosen either over the 3T.

The 3T tried to make a selling point of no football over the world cup, I don't know how popular that was though.

Perhaps the lunchtime drink/food business from HSBC has declined over the years, I know that the numbers in the office in general are down, there are entire floors that practically empty sometimes these days, and I get the feeling generally that lunchtime drinks are less common (not just at HSBC, but everywhere).

I really liked the 3 tuns, it's a really unique building and well located as a starting point for Kelham. However, I stopped going in after reet ale dropped it and the beer selection went downhill. I choose the pubs I drink in based on the beer they sell. The surroundings, clientele, ambience etc are secondary. And Im not interested in doom bar, Guinness and carling. Hopefully someone will take it from punch and turn it around, like Chris and Kate did with the rutland.

That's pretty much how I feel, makapaka will no doubt tell you that you're wrong though.

Such a shame, went in there for the first and only time in June and loved it.

Fingers crossed it gets a new owner and reopens.

Guest makapaka
I'm partial to dark beers, stouts or porters. They'd often have one on, but equally often it would run out. Presumably because the popularity has increased over the last few years.

Head just down the road to Shakespeares and it's unusual if they don't have 2 dark beers on, sometimes 3! And they typically have a few bottles/cans as well.

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 10:05 ----------

It absolutely is nonsensical. You're still trying to argue that I should drink at places that don't serve drinks I like.

Perhaps I should go to bubble tea shops in case they close, despite not wanting bubble tea, and I should frequent the gelato shops that have sprung up everywhere, despite not wanting a desert...

The idea that someone should drink in pubs that don't cater to them, when there are MANY that do is simply stupid.

Good comparisons IMO, I visit both of those, the RA more often, but Shakespeares if I go out for drinks around the Kelham side of town, and given the choice I'd have chosen either over the 3T.

The 3T tried to make a selling point of no football over the world cup, I don't know how popular that was though.

Perhaps the lunchtime drink/food business from HSBC has declined over the years, I know that the numbers in the office in general are down, there are entire floors that practically empty sometimes these days, and I get the feeling generally that lunchtime drinks are less common (not just at HSBC, but everywhere).

That's pretty much how I feel, makapaka will no doubt tell you that you're wrong though.

No - you can drink where you want - I said it was a shame because youre missing out on some great places because of your very specific tastes - which is correct.

You could phone ahead to a pub ask them if they serve the drinks you like and if they said no you wouldn’t go. That’s your prerogative but you would miss out on whatever else that pub had to offer - it would be something you never experienced because your specific tastes prevented you from going.

Edited by makapaka

It's not going to be a 'great' pub for me is it if they don't serve what I like. You don't seem to be understanding the simple fact that not serving a beer I want to drink makes it for me, the opposite of great.