The Three Tuns

Guest makapaka
I went in because I was passing and wanted to check them out. Never been in before, will probably never go in Ink again.

I'll say again that I don't think "Stouts and Porters" is a particularly narrow or unusual type of beer to want.

If it closes again because it's failing to actually serve the beers people want, then that's not a loss.

Its probably serving beers a lot of people do want - that are decent beers and well kept.

Its a shame that you don't like anything they sell.

The pub is lovely and quite an individual building inside and out and nothing much like it in the town centre - it was a real shame when it closed and I'm delighted its open again.

I'm sure it does serve beer that a lot of people like. And some of those people will go in and spend money. That's how the marketplace works. I spend my money at the businesses that cater for me specifically, not at the ones selling something I don't want.

Guest makapaka
I'm sure it does serve beer that a lot of people like. And some of those people will go in and spend money. That's how the marketplace works. I spend my money at the businesses that cater for me specifically, not at the ones selling something I don't want.

Thats a shame - you must miss out on going into a lot of great pubs/bars.

There is a pub sweet-spot that the Three Tuns lies within: good enough to serve a nice pint but not quite good enough for our more opinionated brethren (Cyclone, Derby Tup, DnAuK et al)...establishments where one may drink free of their ironic spectacles and toped beards. Perhaps we can draw up a list?

Edited by PeteM01

The Three Tuns pub on Silver St has ceased trading again.

The current people running it could not afford to get further into debt in order to keep it open.

Hopefully a new tenant might make a go of it or even better a new owner.

The current people running it could not afford to get further into debt in order to keep it open.

I do hope that PeteM01 et al are reading this and realising that maybe, just maybe, they might be wrong about pubs. The fact that a place might be traditional and quirky isn't enough to save it if it offers nothing that people who spend good money on good beer want to drink. What Cyclone said is absolutely true - people pay their money and take their choice with regards their pub visits. And clearly not enough people chose to pay their money in this place. Sad, but true.

Maybe someone else will take it on with a little more vision? Or maybe it's just doomed to be home to the 'Ow much' crowd who sadly won't pay enough to keep it open.

I do hope that PeteM01 et al are reading this and realising that maybe, just maybe, they might be wrong about pubs. The fact that a place might be traditional and quirky isn't enough to save it if it offers nothing that people who spend good money on good beer want to drink. What Cyclone said is absolutely true - people pay their money and take their choice with regards their pub visits. And clearly not enough people chose to pay their money in this place. Sad, but true.

Maybe someone else will take it on with a little more vision? Or maybe it's just doomed to be home to the 'Ow much' crowd who sadly won't pay enough to keep it open.

Well, it took a year but you finally took the bait, my toped friend.

It's a shame about the Three Tuns but it never regained its former glory and even I stopped visiting because of the lack of decent beer. Plenty of other nice pubs to visit for the beer/ambience combo, and micropubs when I fancy something a little different.

It's not closed is it? Looked open when I passed it earlier. Must admit I didn't look very closely. I've been in a few times since this thread was started, but the beer wasn't all that special.

---------- Post added 28-08-2018 at 19:39 ----------

I know this is an older comment, but how exactly would I consider them to be great pubs or bars if they didn't serve drinks that I wanted?

Perhaps you've misunderstood an earlier point?

It's not closed is it? Looked open when I passed it earlier. Must admit I didn't look very closely. I've been in a few times since this thread was started, but the beer wasn't all that special.

One of my children's friends did the Three Tuns pub quiz every week and she has also told me that it was closed (or, possibly, closing).

The closure story is in The Star

Edited by PeteM01
The Star!

Guest makapaka

---------- Post added 28-08-2018 at 19:39 ----------

I know this is an older comment, but how exactly would I consider them to be great pubs or bars if they didn't serve drinks that I wanted?

Perhaps you've misunderstood an earlier point?

Can’t be bothered going over it again to be honest.

Shame about the 3 Tuns though - hope it reopens soon.

Yeah. Beautiful pub. One of our city`s finest.

Having to maintain 47 different beers to please everyone on Sheffield Forum killed it off.