Gentleman's club Norfolk Street area.

Any one recall the 'Sheffield Club' once located at the Mulberry Street/Norfolk Street corner ? Moving in early 60's to nearby George Street about where the NSPC building is. I believe it was a gentleman's club and not used by the general town drinking (I'm one) hoi polloi.

Gentleman's Club has other connotations these days. Wasn't the one in Sheffield the type where old boys sit in wing backed leather chairs reading the Times and supping brandy?

Never invited in there, but I was once invited to the St James club in Manchester which was a bit like that. It was for a dinner held by a very old firm of Manchester architects. At one point we all had to stand and toast the founders, lol.

My old boss was a member and often took we senior staff members for a sort of bonding session which included a meal and a few games of snooker. Nice place.The one I went to was on George Street.

Edited by stevew

The Sheffield club moved from Norfolk Street to George Street in 1964. Then from George Street to the top floor of the Cutlers Hall in Church Street in 1983. It remained in the Cutlers Hall until it's closure about the year 2000. ( the Sheffield Club closed not the Cutlers Hall). It's members were Judges and top barristers and wealthy business men of the area. When the club closed there were twelve members who still wished to meet up from time to time so they arranged to meet every month for a five or six course dinner inside the Cutlers Hall. They would take it in turns to pay for the meal for everyone. They called themselves the birthday club and made out that the person whose turn it was to pay was celebrating their birthday. Over the years quite a few of them have passed away but they always seem to invite replacements to join them. As far as I am aware they still meet every month.

More here:

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46800

It seems it has been revived. Evidently not the same as in former times. It advertises its membership fees and admits the fairer sex:

http://www.sheffieldclub.co.uk/

With all due respect Jim, I don't think this is anywhere near the one I referred to. I think they have just taken on the name. I may be totally wrong though.

With all due respect Jim, I don't think this is anywhere near the one I referred to. I think they have hejust taken on the name. I may be totally wrong though.

On the new club's website it says that it was established in 1843, same year as the Norfolk Street one so maybe a connection. Looking at the webpage hardly brings inspiration as in; the activities are few and far between and the enrollment fees seem a bit low in comparison to what may be charged at similar places (if they still exist beyond St.James' and Jermyn Street). If I could sort of paraphrase Groucho Marx 'I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member'.

The website calendar looks great for 2016. Time for an update?

On the new club's website it says that it was established in 1843, same year as the Norfolk Street one so maybe a connection. Looking at the webpage hardly brings inspiration as in; the activities are few and far between and the enrollment fees seem a bit low in comparison to what may be charged at similar places (if they still exist beyond St.James' and Jermyn Street). If I could sort of paraphrase Groucho Marx 'I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member'.

Deja Vu, all over again eh?:D

Gentleman's Club has other connotations these days. Wasn't the one in Sheffield the type where old boys sit in wing backed leather chairs reading the Times and supping brandy?

Never invited in there, but I was once invited to the St James club in Manchester which was a bit like that. It was for a dinner held by a very old firm of Manchester architects. At one point we all had to stand and toast the founders, lol.

A bit like the Park Hotel:hihi:

A bit like the Park Hotel:hihi:

Yes, there's always a butler at my elbow with a telegram from my stockbroker pint of John Smiths on a silver tray. :)

never be the same if you can't light up a huge Cuban imported cigar to enjoy with the brandy and mints