It's Our City Campaign - Have you Signed?

10 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Sign if you want to spend £500 000 on a referendum.

If proven to be an more effective method of governance, I  would absolutely rather spend £500k on a referendum than, for example, the £413k it cost SCC to try and prosecute tree felling protesters (which they now admit the whole debacle was a mistake).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45393916

Perhaps if more councillors had been able to have influence at the time that wouldn't have happened... 

I would be interested in seeing what local authorities have adopted this system, and whether any change has been felt 'on the ground'. 

9 hours ago, convert said:

Any updates on this please?

Looks like a drive by posting 😎

I've signed and shared on social media some time ago

So, The organisers say they now have over 25,000 signatures (target was 20092), of which just over 10,000 are online, the rest on paper signup sheets.

They will hand the petition in this Friday.

Good luck to them, I say.

Who will pay for all the names and addresses to be checked off on our electoral register?

Who will pay for the referendum?

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Who will pay for all the names and addresses to be checked off on our electoral register?

Who will pay for the referendum?

Perhaps the councillors with no voice on the council could check the validity of the signatures?

the same people who pay for the election of disenfranchised councillors will pay for the referendum.

14 minutes ago, convert said:

Perhaps the councillors with no voice on the council could check the validity of the signatures?

the same people who pay for the election of disenfranchised councillors will pay for the referendum.

Presumably if your MP is not a member of the Cabinet you are similarly disenfranchised?

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

Presumably if your MP is not a member of the Cabinet you are similarly disenfranchised?

Do all councillors get a vote in the strong leader model? How about MPs in the commons...

Olivia Blake, deputy leader of SCC, has just resigned in order to sign the petition and support the campaign.

BBC article

21 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

Olivia Blake, deputy leader of SCC, has just resigned in order to sign the petition and support the campaign.

BBC article

This of course has nothing to do with Ben Curran only having a majority of 41 for Labour in Walkley in the election in May 😎

I was told today by my well-informed observer that the Labour Party had told Labour councillors in 'marginal seats' (that is those that weren't won by Labour this year, or only had a small majority) that they would not be allowed to switch to being candidates in safer seats for 2020.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation.

There doesnt seem to be much interest in this issue which could change the way our council works? Personally anything that will get rid of Julie Dore is a good thing I think. However, I'm not totally convinced that involving more people in a decision will improve things. I stand to be educated in how it will work.

Anybody have an update / explain the next steps of the process now the petition has been successful?