It's Our City Campaign - Have you Signed?

We need people like those who stated it’s our city to make a better sheffield .

How do you propose they do that?

Love this phrase!

These organisations are not interested in any version of local democracy apart from their own brand which they intend to impose on us from the 'bottom up'.

Imagine if those at the bottom rung of society had the power to impose anything on anyone. The rulers must be quaking.

How do you propose they do that?

Simply by getting the right people Who were voted on , the councillors we vote for to be heard in the council they represent . If we can get a fairer system in to being then change will happen .

Edited by teeny

Love this phrase!

Imagine if those at the bottom rung of society had the power to impose anything on anyone. The rulers must be quaking.

"Bottom up" in Green politics means that you start with populist local issues in a demographically suitable area, become associated and known through direct action, building a base of active local members, who become councillors who become MPs.

Simply by getting the right people Who were voted on , the councillors we vote for to be heard in the council they represent . If we can get a fairer system in to being then change will happen .

Exactly! It's not difficult and no referendum would be needed if Julie Dore stopped acting like a harridan every time she's questioned. We as citizens contribute to this city as do the councillors we elect. We vote for them to have a voice not a bloody great gag put on them. That's not democracy in any way, shape or form.

We are entitled to have a voice!

---------- Post added 28-08-2018 at 23:03 ----------

"Bottom up" in Green politics means that you start with populist local issues in a demographically suitable area, become associated and known through direct action, building a base of active local members, who become councillors who become MPs.

You really don't get it Annie do you? This isn't about the Green party and those on the IOC group don't just vote for the Greens. This isn't a platform for the Green party. It's about you and me having a voice. It's about ALL 84 councillors having a say not just the 10 in the Cabinet

In case anyone's interested, the percentage of the votes for each party in this year's SCC local elections were:

40.3% Labour

24.5% LibDem

17.6% Green

13.4% Conservative

2.1% UKIP

2.2% Other

(although of course the proportion of seats Labour held/won was higher due to FPTP)

The "right people" are presumably the ones that are best associated with your views. They are allowed to stand for election as councillors, and express their views to their constituency. If they are the "right people" for most of the voters then they can work with other "right people" to change things.

However some of the "right people" cannot get elected, some cannot wait and seek to change the system in other ways.

These ways are often open and legitimate but we must be careful of those who seek change without being open.

In case anyone's interested, the percentage of the votes for each party in this year's SCC local elections were:

40.3% Labour

24.5% LibDem

17.6% Green

13.4% Conservative

2.1% UKIP

2.2% Other

(although of course the proportion of seats Labour held/won was higher due to FPTP)

How come L/D's do so well in local election, their national vote is 7%!

How come L/D's do so well in local election, their national vote is 7%!

I think the SCC result was highly atypical - the UKIP vote collapsed (as it did everywhere), and Labour should have expected to pick up quite a few of those votes; instead, Labour's share actually decreased by 3.7%. This was while Labour did very well elsewhere across the country. Greens and LDs were both very high by normal "northern industrial city" standards - I suspect this had much to do with the tree issue. In Nether Edge, there was a (relatively) huge turnout, and Alison Teal (Green) got the highest personal vote of any candidate in the election across all wards in Sheffield.

...You really don't get it Annie do you? This isn't about the Green party and those on the IOC group don't just vote for the Greens. This isn't a platform for the Green party. It's about you and me having a voice. It's about ALL 84 councillors having a say not just the 10 in the Cabinet

I don't know how the founders of the IOC and therefore the petition, voted.

However as the group comprises mainly of individuals associated with Green politics and/or the tree campaign it is only fair that we the voters of Sheffield are aware that a pressure group is in charge of the petition.

I would be equally concerned if the originators of the petition were collectively associated with any club, party, religious faction, group, business, organization etc., particularly if they do not disclose their interest and claim to be speaking for the people.

If we are not careful the rise in the use of popularism in the form of petitions and referenda will cause lasting damage to our fragile and flawed democracy.

In one way the petition has worked- I have had to find out how this 'strong leadership' thing works/doesn't work. I wonder how many others have/will do that?

I don't know how the founders of the IOC and therefore the petition, voted.

However as the group comprises mainly of individuals associated with Green politics and/or the tree campaign it is only fair that we the voters of Sheffield are aware that a pressure group is in charge of the petition.

I would be equally concerned if the originators of the petition were collectively associated with any club, party, religious faction, group, business, organization etc., particularly if they do not disclose their interest and claim to be speaking for the people.

If we are not careful the rise in the use of popularism in the form of petitions and referenda will cause lasting damage to our fragile and flawed democracy.

In one way the petition has worked- I have had to find out how this 'strong leadership' thing works/doesn't work. I wonder how many others have/will do that?

You are making very wrong assumptions about how these people voted and their affinity to STAG. Now yes some of them are STAG members and yes some have also voted Green and some will be both but not all of us are so please get your facts straight before making sweeping statements.

At the launch for this petition (which btw has been agreed by SCC and their legal advisers) there were many groups spoke from across Sheffield. The focus was most certainly not about trees. It was about a range of issues across Sheffield.

You also seem to think IOC is trying to take over running the city. They're not! What they are campaigning for is the removal of the strong leader model which allows ALL 84 of our elected councillors a voice in how things are run and by default us who voted for them.

However if it's got you to actually think about how Sheffield is run even if you don't sign it that's a plus!

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 00:36 ----------

If IOC get sufficient signatures (5% of the electorate) then SCC have to by law, under the Localism Act 2011 ,have a referendum that everyone who has a vote in the city has the right to vote on. How the question will be worded I don't know - that will be for IOC and SCC to agree once the petition is scrutinised. SCC however could change this if they chose without the need for any referendum.

If IOC don't get sufficient signatures then there will be no referendum and we'll bumble on with the current levels of incompetence

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 00:53 ----------

I would recommend everyone has a read of this which explains exactly what IOC is all about.

https://www.itsoursheffield.co.uk/

You are making very wrong assumptions about how these people voted and their affinity to STAG. Now yes some of them are STAG members and yes some have also voted Green and some will be both but not all of us are so please get your facts straight before making sweeping statements.

I said "... the group comprises mainly of individuals associated with Green politics and/or the tree campaign it is only fair that we the voters of Sheffield are aware that a pressure group is in charge of the petition."

I said "mainly" and you said "...not all of us are...."

In my version of English, "mainly" equates to "not all" so their is no need for the "...so please get your facts straight before making sweeping statements".

The signatories to the constitution on the 11th of August 'It's Our City' comprises 11 names so I am very confident in saying that "... the group comprises mainly of individuals associated with Green politics and/or the tree campaign it is only fair that we the voters of Sheffield are aware that a pressure group is in charge of the petition."

However it is possible that other names have been added.

As well as the please get your facts straight before making sweeping statements I love the got you to actually think bit in last sentence:

"However if it's got you to actually think about how Sheffield is run even if you don't sign it that's a plus! "