It's Our City Campaign - Have you Signed?

As seen on the news tonight, has anyone signed the 'It's Our City' petition?

Finally a chance for the people of Sheffield to have more say on how Sheffield Council spends our money and how it is run.

What does everyone think about it? I think it's a pretty good idea (can't get a link to work though)

What's the general feeling? They need 5% of Sheffield's population to sign. So far they've got 713 out of 20,956 needed so I suppose that speaks for itself

Interesting though..

Edited by Bollie

The petition would be here

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sheffield-peoples-petition

and an explanation of what it's for here

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/group-launches-people-s-movement-to-change-political-culture-of-sheffield-1-9320159

But basically a shift away from a decision being made by the majority party in the council towards a more representative committee based decision making process.

I don't think they'll reach the required numbers though. It's a big ask.

No-one seems to know about the campaign despite the news tonight.

Thanks for putting on the links though!

Guest makapaka

No ta.

What would be democratic would be to create a party for people to vote for - not undermine the democratic process by changing the govemental structure.

stuff like this gets on my nerves - “I don’t like what’s happening but can’t be bothered to get elected to do something about it so I’ll start a position to change the rules”

Finally a chance for the people of Sheffield to have more say on how Sheffield Council spends our money and how it is run.

Is it really?

How do "one or more committees" (of councillors) mean the people get a greater say than we do now?

Because at the moment, there is a committee of 10 who decide stuff: Julie Daws + 9 other over-paid councillors.

What this campaign is suggesting is every councillor, in every ward, should be sat on the said committee to speak for the people.

At the moment, we complain to our local councillor but they don't actually have any clout in decision making. Thus: people just don't vote

This could be a game-changer... think about it

If you don't live in Burngreave, Birley, Park and Arbourthorne, Nether Edge, Walkley, Darnall, Southey or Gleadless Valley YOUR councillor has little say in decision making in Sheffield. It's Our City aims to change this so that everyone is heard.

As seen on the news tonight, has anyone signed the It's Our City petition?

Apart from the chance to have your say about the same things at every council election ever held

No ta.

What would be democratic would be to create a party for people to vote for - not undermine the democratic process by changing the govemental structure.

stuff like this gets on my nerves - “I don’t like what’s happening but can’t be bothered to get elected to do something about it so I’ll start a position to change the rules”

I know someone who thought exactly that, and eventually after much hard work on behalf of the party finally got elected as a Councillor, did 2 terms, and gave up in disgust. Said it was an absolute nest of vipers and cliques. You couldn't change a thing, it was all sewn up and pre-decided. If you didn't tow the same old party line, you could forget it.

Before someone says 'stand as an independent' it is almost impossible to get elected unless you have a really strong public profile. Independents have less chance of getting elected than the Conservatives in Sheffield.

So yes, I have signed the petition, you bet I have!

What this campaign is suggesting is every councillor, in every ward, should be sat on the said committee to speak for the people.

So you're suggesting that every decision has to go to the full council (effectively a committee of every councillor)?

So you're suggesting that every decision has to go to the full council (effectively a committee of every councillor)?

Bollie got it wrong.

Just vote Lie-Dore (like your parents, grandparents & every other distant relative ever did). Far easier than applying your own grey matter to making your own considered assessment of the issues at hand could ever be. Baa Baa Baa