Old gas lamp standards-what have Amey done with them?

I live at Norton Lees. Along a lot of the roads here, the old orange sodium street lamps used to be supported on the rather decorative 19th century cast iron gas lamp standards, complete with T-bar for the lamplighter’s ladder. When Andy replaced them all with the new LED street lamps on their plastic poles, all the venerable old standards were taken out, except for the sewer gas lamps. Anyone know what happened to them? I’d imagine their resale value would be considerable.

Probably met the same fate as the lovely york stone flags removed and replaced with tarmac :(

Guest makapaka
I live at Norton Lees. Along a lot of the roads here, the old orange sodium street lamps used to be supported on the rather decorative 19th century cast iron gas lamp standards, complete with T-bar for the lamplighter’s ladder. When Andy replaced them all with the new LED street lamps on their plastic poles, all the venerable old standards were taken out, except for the sewer gas lamps. Anyone know what happened to them? I’d imagine their resale value would be considerable.

I heard a rumour they were all melted down and turned into chainsaw blades.

Why is Andy getting the blame?

Probably weighed em in for scrap

doubtful on resale value most have rusted due to weathering, dog urine etc not much for scrap either

doubtful on resale value most have rusted due to weathering, dog urine etc not much for scrap either

Not much rusting on cast iron

This is vandalism on a vast scale - why is Sheffield getting rid of its heritage when all other cities save theirs .... an dyes if they HAVE to sell them why doent they raise money for the council coffers rather than let the Amey cowboys plunder and flog them ??

This is vandalism on a vast scale - why is Sheffield getting rid of its heritage when all other cities save theirs .... an dyes if they HAVE to sell them why doent they raise money for the council coffers rather than let the Amey cowboys plunder and flog them ??

Because our criminally inept council signed a 35 year contract with Amey, a proven bunch of shysters, and allowed them to "self monitor" the contract. Birmingham and Liverpool had the right idea. Cancel the contract and seek costs due to shoddy work.

It was possible to acquire them from the council when they were taken down. Some appeared on eBay.

The men removing them did sell some on and others were taken to a depot, I don't trust Amey or its managers, one of them stole over £3,000 of natural stone coping stones from the top of a wall, 3 ft x 2ft, plus five yards of the stone wall they were laid on, then said they were stolen from a secure site. They had to replace the pavement slabs they topped the wall with, although I don't think the replacements are natural stone, they look more in keeping than the concrete paving slabs they had used.