The Derbyshire border?

I came across an old map of Derbyshire today and it clearly showed the border between it and neighbouring counties. While it showed the border along the western edge of the city (Derwent, Strines) to be the same as it is now, in south Sheffield Norton, Hackenthorpe and Dore are shown to be part of the old Eastern Division of Derbyshire. Can anyone actually confirm the border once came this far north?

Edited by Colin Foster

I was born in Halfway which was in Derbyshire and have always said that i moved to Sheffield without moving houses,not actually sure where it was further north though.

---------- Post added 24-08-2018 at 23:57 ----------

Halfway (grid reference SK432809) lies in the extreme southeast of Sheffield at the end of a Sheffield Supertram line. Halfway is part of the historic county of Derbyshire but has been administered by Sheffield since boundary changes in 1967.<<<<<Wikipedia

Woodseats S8 was in Derbyshire until early years of 20thc. County border was the Meers Brook in Victorian times. Before that it was Heeley Bridge. Hence Heeley Duff 'em.

Sheffield's been pushing south for a couple of centuries.

Woodseats S8 was in Derbyshire until early years of 20thc. County border was the Meers Brook in Victorian times. Before that it was Heeley Bridge. Hence Heeley Duff 'em.

Sheffield's been pushing south for a couple of centuries.

Beware of the "ducks" if you keep pushing.;)

Abbeydale Sports and social Club has a Cricket Field and this is the only Cricket ground to have Hosted home games for two English counties.

When it was in Derbyshire it hosted Derbyshire Game(s) and in Yorkshire it has hosted Yorkshire.

The border change created quite a fuss at the time with banners and signs outside a fair few house with a particularly memorable

"Id rather be a Bakewell Tart than a Yorkshire Pudding" hung from one of the bridges in Killamarsh

I think the main issue was the higher rates paid n Sheffield

The border change ..

Which one there had been loads.

I know of three locations that have been Borders on Chesterfield Road S8. However further back in time I once read that he border was at the edge of the Moor. In what is now the centre of town.

When me and my brothers were born in Hackenthorpe our dad had to register us at Renishaw courthouse ,

We moved onto the Hackenthorpe estate in 1953. At that time the Derbyshire border sign was on the hill from Intake bottom to Frecheville, situated at the top of Linley Lane.

Meers Brook that runs through Gleadless Valley was once the dividing border of Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Edited by lazarus

I was born in Buxton and registered at Chapel-en-le-Frith,  I don't recall any of the places said to be previously in Derbyshire 

The road sign for Briarfield Avenue, Gleadless, had "Borough of Chesterfield " written on it in red Gothic script. I think the road sign was changed in the 1970s. I believe the nearby former Norton Air Base is still in Derbyshire. By the look of the houses on Briarfield Avenue, the road probably dates from the 1930s.

Edited by sovrappeso