'Sexist' Image of Firemen Puts Women Off Joining

Apparently the 'sexist' portrayal of firemen in the media is putting women off becoming firefighters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/21/sexist-portrayals-muscle-bound-firemen-put-women-profession/

Personally, if that's all that's going to put you off that particular career, i'm quite happy with you not joining. I want the best of the best when it comes to saving my life, so if an 'image' is going to put you off, i doubt you'd be mentally and emotionally equipped to enter a burning building.

Apparently the 'sexist' portrayal of firemen in the media is putting women off becoming firefighters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/21/sexist-portrayals-muscle-bound-firemen-put-women-profession/

Personally, if that's all that's going to put you off that particular career, i'm quite happy with you not joining. I want the best of the best when it comes to saving my life, so if an 'image' is going to put you off, i doubt you'd be mentally and emotionally equipped to enter a burning building.

Apparently the non-inclusive term 'Fireman' was dropped in the early 1980's for 'Firefighter', to encourage more women to join.

Just a little aside to this. Saw the ITV report about this story which also featured a clip from 'Love Island' showing some blokes dressed as firemen, (sorry firefighters), stripping of. Cut back to the ITN studio with presenter Charlene White with a big grin on her face, whiping her brow & mouthing 'Phew" to the viewers.

Thought, hmmmm? Double standards again? Now if it'd been women in their undies & a male newsreader, could you have imagined the complaints?

I would have thought it would make them join more at the thought of those sexy , well built firemen !

I would have thought it would make them join more at the thought of those sexy , well built firemen !

Newsflash - not all women are that shallow.

Newsflash - not all women are that shallow.

Can’t you take a joke or what ?

Can’t you take a joke or what ?

That was supposed to be funny? Try harder.

That was supposed to be funny? Try harder.

I thought it was funny.

I thought it was funny.

I thought it was funny also!

I thought it was funny also!

Same here.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton blamed stereotypical images of firefighters as sex objects for the reason that many women still considered it a man’s job.

So if sexist images put women off the job, you somehow conclude that they wouldn't be physically capable of doing the job...

"I'm especially concerned about how many young people think firefighting is for men,” she said.

"When popular shows like Love Island roll out every offensive cliche possible with their so-called 'fireman challenge', it reinforces the misconception that all firefighters are musclebound men. No wonder so many young women are put off by that."

You don't think that as a very senior female firefighter she might actually know more about this subject than you do and perhaps have a point?