Adapting a compost bin for tea

Hi,

I've finally got myself a compost bin and wondered if anyone had adapted theirs to capture the liquid. I would like to know if it's possible to get a container that fits nicely beneath the bin that i can fix a tap to or is it not necessary if i have compost?

Also should I sit the compost bin on a plastic board or similar or is it ok to sit on the bare earth?

I've just converted, my blue wheeli bin, into a water butt.

You can buy, water butt, plastic taps on eBay/Wilko for about £4, make sure they come with back locking nut.

My OH made me a tap at work, fitted about a foot up on bin, then stood bin on bricks, so watering can fits underneath.

Thankyou Debs1 xx

done correctly there should be very little liquid coming from a composter.

Liquid fertiliser teas can be made from rotting comfrey or nettles in a container with a lid.

Be aware they really smell awful and require diluting

done correctly there should be very little liquid coming from a composter.

Liquid fertiliser teas can be made from rotting comfrey or nettles in a container with a lid.

Be aware they really smell awful and require diluting

I have to agreed it smells awful.

If there is too much liquid, you run the risk of ragtail maggots, nice if you like hoverflies, bonus of having the maggots is they feed on aphids as well as decaying plant matter. Most years I keep a small nettle soup container with a 25mm hole in the lid to encourage more hoverflies.