Empire garage Sheffield

Hi, i,m looking for any old adverts / photographs of Empire garage machon bank Sheffield for a project i,m doing , does anyone have any or can point me in the right direction please ?

---------- Post added 30-08-2018 at 10:53 ----------

Anybody ????

Does anybody remember anything about it ? When did it open etc etc

Have you tried Picture Sheffield?

Does anybody remember anything about it ? When did it open etc etc

Don't know if this is helpful. It was open pre 1972 when I frequented the place . It was owned /run then by 2 blokes aged about sixtyis. It was later ran by an ex Dan Bradbury mechanic called ravioli .I had my lambretta tested there and bought parts occasionally. I think it was still open in the early 801.

Have you tried Picture Sheffield?

Yes , to no avail

---------- Post added 01-10-2018 at 20:04 ----------

Don't know if this is helpful. It was open pre 1972 when I frequented the place . It was owned /run then by 2 blokes aged about sixtyis. It was later ran by an ex Dan Bradbury mechanic called ravioli .I had my lambretta tested there and bought parts occasionally. I think it was still open in the early 801.

Every bit of info is helpful , thank you

Bought my first Lambretta, a Series 2 TV175, from there 1967, £60. 2years later traded it in, with them, for a SX200, both lovely machines, wish I still had them. Got a DL150 now.

The 2 men that ran it were both very friendly and helpful, both were in their 60's.

so you're saying ravi didnt own empire garage then ?

so you're saying ravi didnt own empire garage then ?

Am not sure if the old chaps that had the garage owned it they may have rented it..There wasn't much to own really. It comprised of half wood and half glazed doors built in front of two converging brick walls in a triangle shape. As I said previously raravioli was a mechanic at Dan Bradbury on London Road.in 1972 .if he wasn't repairing or servicing anything he was to be seen serving on the spares counter up stars. It's my guess the old chaps that owned or ran empire garage called it a day when scooters were on the demise mid to late seventies before quadrophenia caused a bit of a revival. Dan Bradbury closed around this period .ravioli probably bought the old chaps out or rented it.

Am not sure if the old chaps that had the garage owned it they may have rented it..There wasn't much to own really. It comprised of half wood and half glazed doors built in front of two converging brick walls in a triangle shape. As I said previously raravioli was a mechanic at Dan Bradbury on London Road.in 1972 .if he wasn't repairing or servicing anything he was to be seen serving on the spares counter up stars. It's my guess the old chaps that owned or ran empire garage called it a day when scooters were on the demise mid to late seventies before quadrophenia caused a bit of a revival. Dan Bradbury closed around this period .ravioli probably bought the old chaps out or rented it.[/quote

thank you , i was under the impression that ravi ( real name Arnaldo Ravioli ? )

had owned/rented the premises from the 60's ?

I remember Rav from the 1979 era, I used to go and look through the windows at the scooters, he always had a couple for sale. There's a painting that Pete McKee did and that's based on Ravs shop.

I took a vespa down for MOT in about 2000 he stripped the front brakes and fitted new shoes, he charged me next to nothing.

He also told me that the bin men always fetched him old lambrettas in the mid 70s that had been left as rubbish and he used to give them a tenner for each one.

Worth a lot more now.

Star Green-Un, 5 November 1955. (Advertisement).

Room Urgently Wanted

10 days special offer

£15 cash or terms

EMPIRE GARAGE

(Prop. R. G. Donald) Tel: 53996.

148 Machon Bank

(opp. The Abbeydale Cinema).

Above the above ad is another with a list of cars for sale.

Ford Prefect £350. Sunbeam Talbot £610. Morris Minor £365.

Vanguard Estate £385. Hillman Estate £295. Austin Pick-Up £295.

Open 10am - 8pm, 4pm weekend.

Star Green-Un, 5 November 1955. (Advertisement).

Room Urgently Wanted

10 days special offer

£15 cash or terms

EMPIRE GARAGE

(Prop. R. G. Donald) Tel: 53996.

148 Machon Bank

(opp. The Abbeydale Cinema).

Above the above ad is another with a list of cars for sale.

Ford Prefect £350. Sunbeam Talbot £610. Morris Minor £365.

Vanguard Estate £385. Hillman Estate £295. Austin Pick-Up £295.

O

pen 10am - 8pm, 4pm weekend.

Thank you , i saw another advert regarding Empire garage selling various car and lorry parts , batteries , amps , tyres etc online on Motor Sport Archives from 1956 and the seller was listed as Donald too although i assumed this was his first name .