Campaign to Save Birley Spa

Agree - i think that the nightclub is what has prompted the locals tbh.

the rumour mill makes me laugh, there would never have been a chance to get that licenced as a club and as its going or was going to auction nobody could know who was buying it:hihi:

its a shame its been withdrawn as i am going to the auction today for something else it would have been interesting to see what price it achieved.

My point entirely - although i was raised to believe they were Roman when i lived close by.

When we were kids our dad used to say lets go down to the pond next the Roman Baths and do some Fishing. That was 40yr ago. Where he get Roman Baths from. :huh:

When we were kids our dad used to say lets go down to the pond next the Roman Baths and do some Fishing. That was 40yr ago. Where he get Roman Baths from. :huh:

No idea, although i was told the same thing.

a nightclub is patently ridiculous and restrictions rightly so, it should be developed into a residence of character.

I think it was a comunity centre at one time and also used for Wedding receptions ect.

Q: if people object to SCC's proposed sale, should the objectors not have to fund an alternative purchase?

If so, couldn't they just bid at the auction?

Q: if people object to SCC's proposed sale, should the objectors not have to fund an alternative purchase?

If so, couldn't they just bid at the auction?

exactly!! judging by some of the prices at the auction this afternoon it would have far exceeded the guide price and it would have sold to someone who would have made it a lovely building. now its likely to fall further into disrepair...shame.

Apparently the council don't want the money for it - according to a council representative at a recent meeting(Clive Betts was there as well) they just aren't willing to fund its upkeep.

There are also issues with a stream running through it which can't be diverted legally and parkland surrounding it not under the control of the council.

Birley Spa Bath House received a very substantial sum of Lottery funding a few years ago so there must have been a robust plan to use it at that point.

Birley Spa Bath House received a very substantial sum of Lottery funding a few years ago so there must have been a robust plan to use it at that point.

It would be interesting to know IF/ how that money was spent for its intended purpose.

It would be interesting to know IF/ how that money was spent for its intended purpose.

Would that have been granted to the council ? The Friends of - community group has only just been founded i believe.

Actually i've found some news editorial...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/features/birley_spa/index.shtml

Edited by willman

So money has already been wasted on it?

Obviously money has been spent on it - i dread to think why its been left to go this way again.