Government cash surplus-does anyone understand it and can explain it t

You said benefit claimants get stuff paid for. Which was wrong. I explained why.

No. What I said was the those on low incomes or receiving benefits can get a reduction in their council tax.

That is simply a fact.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 12:27 ----------

Some "help". Even disabled people have to make a Contribution to CT out of benefits.

And that ‘help’ can be up to 100% depending on where you live and your circumstances.

https://www.eden.gov.uk/council-tax-and-housing-benefit/council-tax-reduction/legal-definition-of-the-council-tax-reduction-scheme/

If an applicant meets the criteria for Class A, they will qualify for 100% reduction in their Council Tax liability

No. What I said was the those on low incomes or receiving benefits can get a reduction in their council tax.

That is simply a fact.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 12:27 ----------

And that ‘help’ can be up to 100% depending on where you live and your circumstances.

https://www.eden.gov.uk/council-tax-and-housing-benefit/council-tax-reduction/legal-definition-of-the-council-tax-reduction-scheme/

If an applicant meets the criteria for Class A, they will qualify for 100% reduction in their Council Tax liability

And I said it was reduced cos of austerity cuts.

And I said it was reduced cos of austerity cuts.

You also said it wasn’t true. That’s false.

The link I provided is a current link. Not only is council tax reduction still a thing, but it’s still possible to get 100% reduction is some circumstances. It may well be the case that 100% reductions used to be more widely available and for less onerous circumstances, but then I’ve never said otherwise..

You also said it wasn’t true. That’s false.

The link I provided is a current link. Not only is council tax reduction still a thing, but it’s still possible to get 100% reduction is some circumstances. It may well be the case that 100% reductions used to be more widely available and for less onerous circumstances, but then I’ve never said otherwise..

What part of welfare cuts don't you understand.

What part of welfare cuts don't you understand.

I think you must have mistakenly quoted me when you meant to quote someone else. Not only does my comment not suggest at all that I don’t understand what welfare cuts are, but it specifically mentions the fact that access to welfare has been cut.

I called you out for making an incorrect statement, it happens to all of us, there’s no need to get silly about it.

Edited by Robin-H

Robin is correct, you said that CT wasn't paid for, but the reality is that it can be reduced by up to 100% for people on benefits. Not all of them, not every time, but it CAN be.

That said, the poor are certainly worse off under austerity, despite the increase in the tax burden on the top 1%. The poor are disproportionately impacted by cuts in services because they have the fewest means to access alternatives.