Government cash surplus-does anyone understand it and can explain it t

Don't need a link. They cut wellfare, housing benefit & council tax benefit from 2011 onwards. Why are you ignoring all the damaging cuts?

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 20:54 ----------

Welfares been cut. This simply isn't true. The lack of safety net is reason for growing homelessness & temp accommodation

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 20:57 ----------

Housing went to LHA rate, under 35s got cut & over 35s get a 1 bed rate. Even disabled are asked to contribute out of benefits.

What 'simply isn't true'?

What 'simply isn't true'?

The statement about benefits claimants.

What level of taxation would you call high? How much of your earnings do you pay tax on?

I earn around £15k and I pay a small amount of tax.

your post seems to have been overlooked can someone answer him?

your post seems to have been overlooked can someone answer him?

I answered that earlier.

The statement about benefits claimants.

The benefit claimants get the most in benefits?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/theeffectsoftaxesandbenefitsonhouseholdincome/financialyearending2016

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 08:29 ----------

I answered that earlier.

In which post?

The benefit claimants get the most in benefits?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/theeffectsoftaxesandbenefitsonhouseholdincome/financialyearending2016

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 08:29 ----------

In which post?

You said benefit claimants get stuff paid for. Which was wrong. I explained why.

I think it's the claim that CT is paid for if you are claiming benefits that is being disputed.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 09:55 ----------

We've spoken about stealth taxes, if that's what you mean by indirect taxation. These are also lowest for the lowest earners, as per the article I linked earlier.

Of course as a proportion of income the lowest earners will pay out more in taxes, but they also receive the most in benefits. The system is set out to reduce these differences.

They aren't stealth, that's a deliberately emotive label to put on them. Nobody is unaware of VAT for example.

I don't believe the system is achieving its aim if indeed that is its aim.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 09:58 ----------

This article talks about a number of failures in our tax system that cause high marginal rates at random points.

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/uk-tax-reform-incomes-super-rich-equality-progressive-taxation-millionaires-loopholes-a8019256.html

I think it's the claim that CT is paid for if you are claiming benefits that is being disputed.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 09:55 ----------

They aren't stealth, that's a deliberately emotive label to put on them. Nobody is unaware of VAT for example.

I don't believe the system is achieving its aim if indeed that is its aim.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 09:58 ----------

This article talks about a number of failures in our tax system that cause high marginal rates at random points.

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/uk-tax-reform-incomes-super-rich-equality-progressive-taxation-millionaires-loopholes-a8019256.html

CT isn't paid for if on benefits.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 11:38 ----------

Neither is gas, electric, travel or housing under many circumstances.

Obviously bills for gas, electric and so on have to be paid for out of benefits or income.

Your blanket statement about CT seems to be incorrect though

If you're on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your council tax. This is called Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

Although each local authority in England has its own CTR scheme, there are some general rules about who can apply for CTR. These rules apply both to pensioners and to people of working age.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/help-with-your-council-tax-council-tax-reduction/council-tax-reduction-making-an-application/council-tax-reduction-who-can-apply/

Some "help". Even disabled people have to make a Contribution to CT out of benefits.

And filling in this form I get this result (as an unemployed couple searching for work with no capital and renting)

https://sheffield.entitledto.co.uk/Results/ComprehensiveCalc?cid=6ccee4f7-5c90-4aa8-8ba2-d1f81ca0bf6c&paymentPeriod=Weekly&calcScenario=CurrentSystem

Council Tax Support

£17.31 / weekly

Your full Council Tax bill of £22.49 per week will be reduced to £5.17 per week because of your entitlement to Council Tax Support.

Your full Council Tax bill of £22.49 per week will be reduced to £5.17 per week because of your entitlement to Council Tax Support.

Which is about 78% of the CT being paid.

FYI in addition

Housing Benefit

£95.06 / weekly

Jobseeker's Allowance

£114.85 / weekly

And filling in this form I get this result (as an unemployed couple searching for work with no capital and renting)

https://sheffield.entitledto.co.uk/Results/ComprehensiveCalc?cid=6ccee4f7-5c90-4aa8-8ba2-d1f81ca0bf6c&paymentPeriod=Weekly&calcScenario=CurrentSystem

Council Tax Support

£17.31 / weekly

Which is about 78% of the CT being paid.

FYI in addition

Housing Benefit

£95.06 / weekly

Jobseeker's Allowance

£114.85 / weekly

Yeah welfare greatly reduced since 2011/12. Most people on benefits are contributing towards CT & rent in the private sector.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 12:13 ----------

Which circles back to original point, low & middle incomes are disproportionately impacted by taxation & stealth tax. A cut is effectively "tax".