Killing The Roots Of A Tree Stump

Way back in May of this year ( 2018 ) I had a professional gardener visit my home to cut down and remove a bush that had grown between a stone wall and my garden fence.

The bush had grown to an approximate height of 8 feet and covered an area of approximately 20 feet in length, thick roots had made their way under the fence and into the garden and above the surface of the lawn.

The bush was cut down and taken away, but before the gardener took it away, he hammered two copper plugs into the top of the newly cut off stump - copper plugs being of 25mm diameter by approximately 13mm in depth.

He told my wife and I, this would kill off the stump but would take a few months to do so.

Very recently, I have noticed new shoots growing off the stump and have removed them, I have asked at gardening centres if copper does kill off stumps - some have said Yes and other's have said No.

Apart from chemical that are available to kill off the stump, I have read that Epsom Salt or Rock Salt if poured into drilled holes in the stump will kill the roots off - advice welcomed please.

Holes want drilling 6 inch deep and more than 2 try diesel may take 2 years

I have seen Y Tube clips where they burn the stumps from the inside.

My husband uses road salt and doesn't arm animals get plenty on for faster results

My husband uses road salt and doesn't arm animals get plenty on for faster results

Yes good as anything but point is nothing is going to rot them in 12 months .

yu tube way of drilling holes filling full diesel leave 6 months build a fire on top

burn out cheapest. Fastest hire some men dig out thats what i did. :hihi:

There is no miracle rotting solution

Way back in May of this year ( 2018 ) I had a professional gardener visit my home to cut down and remove a bush that had grown between a stone wall and my garden fence.

The bush had grown to an approximate height of 8 feet and covered an area of approximately 20 feet in length, thick roots had made their way under the fence and into the garden and above the surface of the lawn.

The bush was cut down and taken away, but before the gardener took it away, he hammered two copper plugs into the top of the newly cut off stump - copper plugs being of 25mm diameter by approximately 13mm in depth.

He told my wife and I, this would kill off the stump but would take a few months to do so.

Very recently, I have noticed new shoots growing off the stump and have removed them, I have asked at gardening centres if copper does kill off stumps - some have said Yes and other's have said No.

Apart from chemical that are available to kill off the stump, I have read that Epsom Salt or Rock Salt if poured into drilled holes in the stump will kill the roots off - advice welcomed please.

Drill holes 6" deep and fill with diesel and cover up

Drill holes 6" deep and fill with diesel and cover up

Yes thats what i did .18 months later i uncovered still same so got it dug out. :hihi:

yu tube way worth a try fill holes with diesel leave a few weeks repeat then put charcoal on set fire burn it out keep at it

Edited by spider1