Micro Pubs springing up all over Sheffield

One is opening in the railway arch unit in Chapeltown :banana:

Just moved to Chapeltown, so looking forward to that one opening!

The Dearne Valley has become quite a hotspot for micro pubs. My own favourites are the Knave & Kestrel in Hoyland and the Wath Tap. Obviously the Chestefield alehouse is still outstanding, although I won't be visiting quite as often now i've moved.

---------- Post added 25-08-2018 at 11:03 ----------

It's a niche market. That place near Fitzallen Square didn't survive because although it advertised itself as a craft micropub it was just a small room with <removed> beer. The Portland on Eccy Road was a Portland Brewery pub..their beers are OK but nowt to write home about, the rent they were being charged they couldn't charge a premium price for their beers because they weren't a premium product.

The ideal situation is out of town, low rent, the ability to source rare and interesting beers, and the sort of clientele that don't say "ow much" for a 7% IPA at £3.70 a half. It also helps if there are a few other decent pubs nearby, it can then be a stop for one pub before moving on.

The rubbish ones won't last, the good ones most certainly should!

---------- Post added 25-08-2018 at 11:06 ----------

They work best when there is the optimum amount of punters in.

Too crowded and there's nowhere to sit, or even stand without being in the way, nowhere to put your drink down, you can't easily get served. I like the Itchy Pig but at busy times it can be hard work so a bigger place works better.

Too few people and the silence can be deafening - you can't have a private conversation and you always feel the staff are earwigging or you are forced to be part of their conversations. Some decent background music would help but that usually seems to be forbidden by the beer bore culture (or the bars don't want to pay the PRS).

Just wait til you go in one with no bar and table service only such as the Town Street tap in Duffield!

Edited by Stoatwobbler

The Two Sheds now opened on Crookes.

Guest makapaka

Is it any good?

Is it run by Arthur Jackson?

A 7% IPA costs a lot more to brew than a 7.4% stout!

Really?

To make a beer with stronger ABV just and more sugar and / or malt. Imparting flavour is a different animal.

Not for me. Only go to pubs for food and I don't like beer.

Not for me. Only go to pubs for food and I don't like beer.

You don't have a kitchen? ;)

Is it any good?

In there now. Good beer selection at reasonable prices. Too many children but the dogs are well behaved.

Is it run by Arthur Jackson?

Actually yes it is :)

The Beer House on Eccy road has been open a good few years and usually seems busy? Ale Club down the road also seems quite popular?

When we lived in Pitsmoor the local west Indians knocked cellars together to form micro night clubs ,so nothing is new.

Out of interest, have any of the new micropubs closed down, or are they all still up and running?