Micro Pubs springing up all over Sheffield

A new one has now opened in Nether Edge called "Brewer Hop" in Wostenholm Road near where the old Priory pub used to be ... I popped in for a half and it seems OK...

And now I hear that there is another one to open in the old Stokes paint shop next to Abbeydale Picture House social - due to open last night?

What do people think of this phenomena .. is it a passing fad like Irish-theme bars or is it here to stay?

I think the good ones will stay. The less good ones, that just try to make money selling overpriced beer that's cheaper in supermarkets, won't last so long.

I'm hoping for one in Crosspool to provide a bit of life at night. There's a market for a decent bar near the shops as the two pubs are rubbish and local folk have money to spend.

A new one has now opened in Nether Edge called "Brewer Hop"

It is actually called "Brewer & Hop"

While it bills itself as a "Micro Pub", I think it is more like an old fashioned traditional one room pub.

The recent Phenomenon of Micro pubs has been a breath of fresh air in my view. We are getting back to what a real pub was. No Food, TV, Fruit Machines or any of that noisy rammal. Just a pub for beer and conversation.

Edited by muddycoffee

Like the old beerhouses in someone's front room, a lot of them are in small shops. Got to be cheaper to run than a big old pub with no one in it all week.

Guest makapaka

I think it’s great - it’s the industry finally responding to the likes of enterprise etc killing off pubs.

It’s a shame you have to drink in old shops across from closed pubs sometimes but at least it’s progress.

While it bills itself as a "Micro Pub", I think it is more like an old fashioned traditional one room pub.

The recent Phenomenon of Micro pubs has been a breath of fresh air in my view. We are getting back to what a real pub was. No Food, TV, Fruit Machines or any of that noisy rammal. Just a pub for beer and conversation.

Wow Rammal ! Long time since I came across that expression. Needs to go in the 'Have you heard these sayings' section too.

Wow Rammal ! Long time since I came across that expression. Needs to go in the 'Have you heard these sayings' section too.

I always spelt it Rammell. but considering it's slang it probably doesn't matter how it's spelt lol

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 19:48 ----------

My nephew has the Royal Oak in the Chesterfield market square and according to his dad he is really making it work, but he does have the food and it's supposedly excellent. However, it is otherwise a really good old-fashioned pub(it is the oldest in Chesterfield) with only real ales on the pumps. None of the junk and rammell you mentioned lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

And a micro sports pub to open on Eccy Road! :o

What's that? One with a little telly?

One is opening in the railway arch unit in Chapeltown :banana:

it will be like the cupcake fad with die as quick as its started, no where near enough volume of sales to make it pay.

it will be like the cupcake fad with die as quick as its started, no where near enough volume of sales to make it pay.

I don't think so. Cupcakes are some kind of American Import. I've never seen or wanted one, whereas beer has been drunk in England for many centuries and the bulk of the population drinks it every week.

In my view, Micropubs will continue to spread and the victims will be the overpriced old largerpubs. At some stage we will reach an equilibrium where the traditional pubs will become less difficult to run and people who like a drink will have a reasonable selection of boozers again.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 18:21 ----------

Unfortunately replacing a rather quirky Country and Western micropub. It is as if we don't already have enough pubs showing football …… :roll: