Tom and Jerry at the Cinema

Does anyone know or remember whether Tom and Jerry was shown at the local cinema back in the 50s/60s/70s?

Does anyone know or remember whether Tom and Jerry was shown at the local cinema back in the 50s/60s/70s?

Used to watch Tom and Jerry at the Paragon Cinema (firth park) in the 60s.

Thanks, it's just that it's mentioned in Mike Harding's memoir of Manchester; I remember all the other films but not T&J.

The News Theatre (formerly The Electra) Fitzalan Square showed documentaries, cartoons, and obviously news reels.about half of the programme were cartoons,my personal favourite is Daffy Duck. It later became the|Classic in the 60's .

The News Theatre (formerly The Electra) Fitzalan Square showed documentaries, cartoons, and obviously news reels.about half of the programme were cartoons,my personal favourite is Daffy Duck. It later became the|Classic in the 60's .

I always knew it as the cartoon cinema.

Back in the 50's I used to go to the News Theatre at least twice a week. They used to change the show mid-week so you'd get new cartoons and comedy shorts. I think my favourites were Sylvester and Daffy Duck but over the years Bugs Bunny came close.

Anybody remember the ginger cat that lived in the dust bin and managed to outwit Sylvester all the time. He used to comb his hair with a fishbone. I've never been able to master the short tongued way of speaking like Sylvester (like the late Robin Williams could) but I can do Bugs Bunny if I concentrate (eeeeeah What's up Doc?). This post reminded me of a singer by name of Al Hibbler. He sang with the Duke Ellington orchestra for a number of years. Al Hibbler was a great cartoon fan and he would sit there in the theatre and roar with laughter at the antics of Bugs and Sylvester et al. The thing was, he was stone blind. He liked the backing music.

I used to like the 'Pete Smith Specialities' at the News theatre formally the 'Electra'. A person should 'Google' him, he was quite different and had a different slant on everything and was very funny. fleetwood

I used to like the 'Pete Smith Specialities' at the News theatre formally the 'Electra'. A person should 'Google' him, he was quite different and had a different slant on everything and was very funny. fleetwood

From the same era, we had Joe McDoak "So you want to be a ......?" Leon Errol shorts, and those mini musicals featuring obscure American singing groups like the Hoosier Hotshots, travalogs and other fillers.

In the evening The News Theatre was considered a third rate cinema, last choice if the big cinemas were full up, but OK during the day if you were off school, or had time to kill, but not exactly a place where you would take the bird on a Saturday night!

Incidentally over the years I have collected a lot of these shorts and occasionally have a nostalgic News Theatre night with the lights down, thanks to modern technology.

Or a Carleton B picture western night with Rod Cameron, or a Heeley Palace Big picture Hollywood musical night with Betty Grable, Gene Kelly, Oscar Levant, Donald O'Connor etc.

"Teks me reight back, it does!" :)

I always knew it as the cartoon cinema.

There must be some 'owd un's on here, they stopped calling it the Electra in 1945.

I remember as a kid and I had the 'bread' I could start at the News Theatre in the morning (they started about half ten I think), take in the show, get up to the Hippodrome or any other uptown cinema in early afternoon, and then go to another cinema early evening. I could nearly go a whole day without seeing daylight.

Back in the 60's, a lot of the shows were continues,you could come and go at any time . Once on the last day at Torquay it p--sed it down, we watched Summer Holiday three times before catching the milk train home. That was enough Cliff Richards for me.