Landlord licensing

I have to agree with Mafya and Geared. Good Landlords will be penalised for the inaction in just five properties that have been investigated. I was at the so called consultation because I have a property that I let and was interested in the process, though my property is in a different area. The reason I wrote so called consultation is because it was virtually an announcement of intention. The meeting was badly organised and the council officers ill prepared. Having said that some of the participants were domineering in their manner and also prevented others from having their questions answered. The so called private housing support team are confrontative and persecutory in their manner. There is a serious problem with this department in the council. They even had an illustration of the recently built magnificent Mosque on the expensive booklet they produced and which is actually outside the area designated for selective licensing.

On the other hand the fact that there are five properties in a very small area that are in a serious state of disrepair and tenanted is a disgrace to private housing.

On the buying up of properties Where is this money to come from, Central government has cut back and cut back so much that we now have a skeleton staff for most council departments and wait 20 minutes or more for the telephone to be answered. A conservative government will not provide funds for houses to be purchased and the council certainly does not have the funding to do so. Funny though how they always have money for posh booklets printed up in excess and inaccurate at that.

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 23:12 ----------

Rent them off the council or stay in hotels.

What are you on?

Councils, really don't have enough housing stock or staff to provide short term lets for migrant workers.

Guest makapaka
You just suggested people needing to stay somewhere for 6 months should stay in hotels!

I’ve done that before - mainly because rents from private properties are sky high. Plus you need a big bond.

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 23:45 ----------

I have to agree with Mafya and Geared. Good Landlords will be penalised for the inaction in just five properties that have been investigated. I was at the so called consultation because I have a property that I let and was interested in the process, though my property is in a different area. The reason I wrote so called consultation is because it was virtually an announcement of intention. The meeting was badly organised and the council officers ill prepared. Having said that some of the participants were domineering in their manner and also prevented others from having their questions answered. The so called private housing support team are confrontative and persecutory in their manner. There is a serious problem with this department in the council. They even had an illustration of the recently built magnificent Mosque on the expensive booklet they produced and which is actually outside the area designated for selective licensing.

On the other hand the fact that there are five properties in a very small area that are in a serious state of disrepair and tenanted is a disgrace to private housing.

On the buying up of properties Where is this money to come from, Central government has cut back and cut back so much that we now have a skeleton staff for most council departments and wait 20 minutes or more for the telephone to be answered. A conservative government will not provide funds for houses to be purchased and the council certainly does not have the funding to do so. Funny though how they always have money for posh booklets printed up in excess and inaccurate at that.

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 23:12 ----------

What are you on?

Councils, really don't have enough housing stock or staff to provide short term lets for migrant workers.

They would if they CPO’d housing stock in areas that needed it. The recruitment of staff would provide jobs for people wouldn’t it.

So far - every counter argument has led to additional upsides to the idea;

Construction work

Hotel revenue

Employment opportunities

I’ve done that before - mainly because rents from private properties are sky high. Plus you need a big bond.

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 23:45 ----------

They would if they CPO’d housing stock in areas that needed it. The recruitment of staff would provide jobs for people wouldn’t it.

So far - every counter argument has led to additional upsides to the idea;

Construction work

Hotel revenue

Employment opportunities

If you stayed in a travelodge for 6 months, no wonder you've gone mad ;)

I managed 10 days, I'd have probably bashed my own head in before 1 month let alone 6. I'll admit there should be more housing stock (there are thousands going up near me in the near future and they won't be cheap) but I fail to see how robbing decent landlord peter to pay councillor Paul will solve much.

Guest makapaka
If you stayed in a travelodge for 6 months, no wonder you've gone mad ;)

I managed 10 days, I'd have probably bashed my own head in before 1 month let alone 6. I'll admit there should be more housing stock (there are thousands going up near me in the near future and they won't be cheap) but I fail to see how robbing decent landlord peter to pay councillor Paul will solve much.

I didn’t stay in a travelodge - they are grim.

Of course it would - youre not robbing the landlord - they get paid out.

What it would solve is availability, affordability and the removal of insecurity.

I didn’t stay in a travelodge - they are grim.

Of course it would - youre not robbing the landlord - they get paid out.

What it would solve is availability, affordability and the removal of insecurity.

It removes a landlords long time security. Alot of these landlords with half a dozen properties are doing because alot of pensions aren't worth owt.

EDIT - Travelodge, and hotels in general do a job, but for lower paid workers, short term rents work.

Guest makapaka
It removes a landlords long time security. Alot of these landlords with half a dozen properties are doing because alot of pensions aren't worth owt.

EDIT - Travelodge, and hotels in general do a job, but for lower paid workers, short term rents work.

So do you advocate landlords pensions over someone having an affordable home?

I don’t.

So do you advocate landlords pensions over someone having an affordable home?

I don’t.

No what your advocating is creation that there must be a small group of people in charge, and it’s likely that this group (councils) would enjoy its power way too much, large institutions such as councils are in their very nature corruptible prone to have differing departmental issues and priorities, an individual user would be powerless against large scale council corporations.

When I attend councils public meetings, it's clear councils run roughshod over the public opinion as they know what always best, what you're advocating is just to rob a sections society that have invested money in their communities for good reasons and enhancing local authorities that already are seen to be bullies by those that oppose councils.

Warning Personal rant:

What you're advocating is Communism, and it Doesn't work, growing up on a 70s council estate, I knew one thing for sure none of my teachers lived on it, or ever would, skip forward I know people in London with a combined income of £80k a year bitching life is too hard to own a house, that they should have affordable rents whilst driving around in a £30k motor, 2 hols a year plus, these are diehard Labour voters who think they have it tough:hihi: the reality is they aren't deserving and I listen to whinge on, offer them a property on a council estate they'd be the first to look down their noses at the neighbors.

Guest makapaka
No what your advocating is creation that there must be a small group of people in charge, and it’s likely that this group (councils) would enjoy its power way too much, large institutions such as councils are in their very nature corruptible prone to have differing departmental issues and priorities, an individual user would be powerless against large scale council corporations.

When I attend councils public meetings, it's clear councils run roughshod over the public opinion as they know what always best, what you're advocating is just to rob a sections society that have invested money in their communities for good reasons and enhancing local authorities that already are seen to be bullies by those that oppose councils.

Warning Personal rant:

What you're advocating is Communism, and it Doesn't work, growing up on a 70s council estate, I knew one thing for sure none of my teachers lived on it, or ever would, skip forward I know people in London with a combined income of £80k a year bitching life is too hard to own a house, that they should have affordable rents whilst driving around in a £30k motor, 2 hols a year plus, these are diehard Labour voters who think they have it tough:hihi: the reality is they aren't deserving and I listen to whinge on, offer them a property on a council estate they'd be the first to look down their noses at the neighbors.

It’s not communism at all - it’s just a way of addressing the housing shortage and a persons ability to own their own home.

It’s not communism at all - it’s just a way of addressing the housing shortage and a persons ability to own their own home.

It's not addressing the housing crisis, not really. It's moving houses from column A to column B (And at what cost?)

You need to build more houses, but houses that aren't a significant whack above current housing stock and that aren't being built on land that was green belt 5 years ago!

Guest makapaka
It's not addressing the housing crisis, not really. It's moving houses from column A to column B (And at what cost?)

You need to build more houses, but houses that aren't a significant whack above current housing stock and that aren't being built on land that was green belt 5 years ago!

Tenants would have a home for life in the government supported option.

I agree more houses should also be built.

Tenants would have a home for life in the government supported option.

I agree more houses should also be built.

Where? There are loads due to be put up near me, no mention on how local roads, schools, doctors etc are going to get more money and/or resources. It's alright sticking up more houses but that's only part of the story.

Guest makapaka
Where? There are loads due to be put up near me, no mention on how local roads, schools, doctors etc are going to get more money and/or resources. It's alright sticking up more houses but that's only part of the story.

Wherever there are suitable development locations.