Seasons predictions 18/19

I've never understood the animosity towards Leeds they are by far Yorkshire most successful club since their introduction into the football league, I think a lot of it is Sheep just following the flock and not really knowing why.

Precisely, and Hotmail's response is a classic case of that. Ask him way, and he wouldn't be able to articulate a sensible argument.

Like I said, most Leeds fans would have no strong views on the Sheffield clubs at all, and generally enjoy their trips to Bramhall Lane and Hillsborough. Ive always had a soft spot for the Blades especially; a good community club with a decent set of fans.

Precisely, and Hotmail's response is a classic case of that. Ask him way, and he wouldn't be able to articulate a sensible argument.

Errrr, excuse me?

If you're looking for articulate, sensible arguments on here, then you will probably be very disappointed.

I don't know how old you are Ben, but I'm 63 and remember every little kick, spit, shove, barge, elbow, punch, knee, poke, headbutt and flail that 'Yorkshire's finest club' dealt out under 'the great' Don Revie.

The film 'The Damned United' is just about spot on with the players antics back then.

Bremner threw more punches than he did tackles, Norman 'Bites your legs' Hunter wasn't called that because he was 'choir boy like'.

EVERY game, Jack Charlton at corners went nose to nose with the defending goalkeeper and blocked him (before blocking was 'acceptable') and lots of times stood/stamped on the goalies foot. The 'keeper could hardly breathe.

Johnny Giles 'left his foot in' hundreds of times in hundreds of games.

Do you remember the on the field 'punch up' between Bremner and Kevin Keegan?

On top of that Tony Currie, Mick Jones and a few other Blades wore the shirt.

That made me really love the side.

A few ex Owls players and an ex manager also moved up the M1 which I find it

very difficult to forgive them for.

L***s had some really good players who played the game properly and deserved the honours they won, but the vast majority of their players in the very same team were thugs, cheats and rogues. The horrible bunch were very fortunate that some well know thug players didn't tear their heads off.

Only Mr Nice Man Hunter and Big Jack looked capable of a scrap, the others were just parasites that hid behind Hunter and Charlton's back when the fists started flying.

Not only me saw all this happening, back then the whole country had to endure their maulings, and that's why, back in the day, EVERY club that played 'em, the supporters drowned out the 'We all love L and L and L etc, replacing the word 'love' with 'hate'.

It still sticks with thousands, if not millions of us to this day, and it will always be that way.

That said, L***s are looking good so far this season (playing properly) and sadly, look like they could be looking at promotion come May.

I blinkin' hope not.

Sorry it's not very articulate, but articulate is very rare on these pages.

Have a good day! :thumbsup:

Errrr, excuse me?

If you're looking for articulate, sensible arguments on here, then you will probably be very disappointed.

I don't know how old you are Ben, but I'm 63 and remember every little kick, spit, shove, barge, elbow, punch, knee, poke, headbutt and flail that 'Yorkshire's finest club' dealt out under 'the great' Don Revie.

The film 'The Damned United' is just about spot on with the players antics back then.

Bremner threw more punches than he did tackles, Norman 'Bites your legs' Hunter wasn't called that because he was 'choir boy like'.

EVERY game, Jack Charlton at corners went nose to nose with the defending goalkeeper and blocked him (before blocking was 'acceptable') and lots of times stood/stamped on the goalies foot. The 'keeper could hardly breathe.

L***s had some really good players who played the game properly and deserved the honours they won, but the vast majority of their players in the very same team were thugs, cheats and rogues. The horrible bunch were very fortunate that some well know thug players didn't tear their heads off.

Only Mr Nice Man Hunter and Big Jack looked capable of a scrap, the others were just parasites that hid behind Hunter and Charlton's back when the fists started flying.

Not only me saw all this happening, back then the whole country had to endure their maulings, and that's why, back in the day, EVERY club that played 'em, the supporters drowned out the 'We all love L and L and L etc, replacing the word 'love' with 'hate'.

It still sticks with thousands, if not millions of us to this day, and it will always be that way.

That said, L***s are looking good so far this season (playing properly) and sadly, look like they could be looking at promotion come May.

I blinkin' hope not.

Great post HM, just thought it should be on here in duplicate.

On form this morning Hots :thumbsup:

Errrr, excuse me?

I blinkin' hope not.

Good post,

Nobody who didn't witness that era can never understand why, you hit the nail on the head with this post, although it was made worse for me seeing several ex owls in their team, C Palmer,M Sterland, L Chapman etc, even now can hardly bear to mention their name. Good old Cloughie!

I've never understood the animosity towards Leeds they are by far Yorkshire most successful club since their introduction into the football league, I think a lot of it is Sheep just following the flock and not really knowing why.

Well, actually....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_competitive_honours_won

As far as they're concerned, Sheffield isn't in Yorkshire. :)

---------- Post added 30-08-2018 at 23:44 ----------

Good post,

Nobody who didn't witness that era can never understand why, you hit the nail on the head with this post, although it was made worse for me seeing several ex owls in their team, C Palmer,M Sterland, L Chapman etc, even now can hardly bear to mention their name. Good old Cloughie!

You can add to that list:

J Newsome

J Pearson

K Pressman (sorry Kev)

C Shutt

G Snodin

C Turner (loan)

I Varadi

D Wetherall

N Worthington

and the one that could/should have been on it:

E Cantona

Edited by Jim Hardie

Great post HM, just thought it should be on here in duplicate.

When Leeds signed Vinnie Jones in 1989 perhaps it was to recall former times.

Errrr, excuse me?

I blinkin' hope not.

cant argue with any of that pal,spot on,Leeds were the architects of high pressing football,Revie was shrewed,hed watched Real madrid and other sucessfull euro sides of that era and brought some of what he learned to english football,it wasnt all for the good of english football,time wasting,intimidation,influencing refs,diving in penalty areas,leeds were a box of tricks,happily of the 20 plus trophies they were in the hunt for during his era,they won 5 and runners up in an incredible 10,but their methods were vilified the length and bredth of the entire country

Wow, thanks chaps!

Red or Blue, we hate that crew.

I hope 'Boro win by at least 5 tonight.

Wow, thanks chaps!

Red or Blue, we hate that crew.

I hope 'Boro win by at least 5 tonight.

Good point for our m8 mooksie, Hots.