Arrested for accepting drink on flight to Dubai

This does have a sort of happy ending in that the poor woman isn't looking at spending a year in a Dubai prison, but she's had to fork out thousands of pounds and her and her daughter were held in a cell for three days without food, water or a toilet.

The state owned airline offered her a complimentary glass of wine whilst on the flight to Dubai...then arrested her at the airport for drinking alcohol.

You couldn't make it up.

Just make sure that you know, and follow, the laws of any country that you choose to visit.

Expired visa?

Filming an officer inside an airport?

Half-wit.

Just make sure that you know, and follow, the laws of any country that you choose to visit.

Expired visa?

Filming an officer inside an airport?

Half-wit.

I think the point they are trying to make is that the laws are not clear and so it’s easy to fall foul of unknown laws.

I think the point they are trying to make is that the laws are not clear and so it’s easy to fall foul of unknown laws.

Easy for half-wits.

Nothing unclear about her expired visa.

If I had to travel to a country I'd make dam sure I knew as many laws as possible.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 20:22 ----------

Easy for half-wits.

Nothing unclear about her expired visa.

I read nothing about an expired visa in the guardian article, or the other things you mentioned. Is it in another newspaper?

I believe it was an Emirates flight. I can't understand it, I've been on this flight to Dubai a few times and always been offered an alcoholic drink or two, (which I've happily accepted,) and never had any trouble at all.

So what's going on?

If I had to travel to a country I'd make dam sure I knew as many laws as possible.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 20:22 ----------

I read nothing about an expired visa in the guardian article, or the other things you mentioned. Is it in another newspaper?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/10/woman-held-in-dubai-with-daughter-for-drinking-glass-of-wine-on-flight

"...She was taken into custody after an immigration official questioned her about her visa and asked if she had consumed alcohol..."

"....After landing, she was questioned by an immigration official, who said her visa was invalid and she must return to London immediately, the group said..."

I too think there is a lot more to this story than is being said.

Its certainly not as black and white as being "arrested for having a drink" #

Its claimed that they were initially denied food but further in the article it says that "...The food [we were given] smelled like rotting garbage and neither Bibi or I could face trying it..."

Its claimed that they initially had no toilet access and her daughter had to use the floor of the cell but further in the article it states that "...she was told to clean toilets and floors..."

Something does not add up.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6987841/brit-mum-jailed-in-dubai-after-one-glass-of-wine-was-abusive-and-broke-law-by-filming-airport-officials/

DUBAI officials claim a Brit mum who was thrown in jail for drinking a glass of wine on an Emirates flight from London was "abusive" and "illegally filmed" airport staff.

I've also seen it on the BBC news app, but can't find it on the website now.

But why offer complimentary wine if your destination country and owner of the airline deems it illegal?

If Dubai are so precious about alcohol laws why aren't they punishing the state owned airline....seems like a scam to me.

I wouldn't go to Dubai or anywhere close; ever.

Its a weird one as lots of hotels in Dubai have bars in them and serve alcohol. I know you cannot be drunk in public so that might of been the problem?

Also i have been to Saudi Arabia and they serve alcohol on flights there as well, but will stop serving once in Saudi airspace

But why offer complimentary wine if your destination country and owner of the airline deems it illegal?

If Dubai are so precious about alcohol laws why aren't they punishing the state owned airline....seems like a scam to me.

They dont necessarilly "deem it illegal".

Its not as black and white as that. The Foreign Office has this advice on their website and I have highlighted a key point....

Liquor licences are not available to non-residents, but it is possible for tourists and visitors to buy and drink alcohol in licensed venues, such as hotels, restaurants and clubs. However, you should be aware that it is a punishable offence under UAE law to drink or be under the influence of alcohol in public. British nationals have been arrested and charged under this law, often in cases where they have come to the attention of the police for a related offence or matter, such as disorderly or offensive behaviour.

I am not saying that this woman fell into that category. BUT what we do know is that she was stopped, she allegedly had invalid visa documents, she was told that she would have to return, she committed another obvious offence by filming an immigration official, she was asked about alcohol consumption and she said something (albeit we dont know what) in reply to that question.

Maybe the offical and authorities in question were totally in the wrong by arresting her. Maybe the airline is totally in the wrong by serving alcohol knowing the likely risks faced by customers at the destination. Maybe she is unjustly persecuted for her innocent actions.

On the other hand, maybe she had far more than "one" drink that she claims. Maybe she was a bit too vocal in her reaction to being told of her visa issues. Maybe she didn't quietly accept that she was forced to return. Maybe there was heated exchanges with officials which are the real cause for her arrest.

Like I said earlier, there is far more to this story than is being said.

Why this woman? Why this specific incident?

We cannot ignore that plenty of other people fly in and out of dubai every day without problem. Emirates have done and still serve drinks on their planes every flight seemingly without incident.

Something has happened which is clearly not being said.

Edited by ECCOnoob