A new micropub in Hillsborough

Well, yes, if it's described as  Craft Ale pub, then that's entirely analogous to Chinese Restaurant.  Craft Ale and Chinese (food) being the relevant bits of the analogy.

In a chinese restaurant you wouldn't be offended if there were a minority of non-chinese foods for sale, they often have chips and omelettes on the menu for example.  And in a craft ale pub having a few none craft ale beers wouldn't be an issue.

But you'd be surprised if the chinese restaurant didn't serve much chinese food, wouldn't you?  And you'd be surprised if a craft ale pub didn't serve much craft ale, well, I would.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Well, yes, if it's described as  Craft Ale pub, then that's entirely analogous to Chinese Restaurant.  Craft Ale and Chinese (food) being the relevant bits of the analogy.

In a chinese restaurant you wouldn't be offended if there were a minority of non-chinese foods for sale, they often have chips and omelettes on the menu for example.  And in a craft ale pub having a few none craft ale beers wouldn't be an issue.

But you'd be surprised if the chinese restaurant didn't serve much chinese food, wouldn't you?  And you'd be surprised if a craft ale pub didn't serve much craft ale, well, I would.

The example the previous poster users was 5 craft beers on pumps and bottles of craft beer in a fridge.

Presumably this isn’t enough for their opinion of a “craft” ale pub.

the analogy is flawed as there is a clear difference between a pubs offering and a restaurant and how they subsequently advertise.

Your analogy is like saying marks and Spencer’s shouldn’t advertise as a food market as it’s only 25% of its shop floor area and imagine going in Morrisons supermarket and 75% of it being clothes, shoes and jewellery.

it doesn’t work.

As I said before -  pretentious.

On 22/01/2019 at 08:01, DnAuK said:

I think sadly, the term 'craft beer' has been watered down a lot in recent years. Even the likes of Greene King and Acorn manage to get the word 'crafted' on their labels. As though that is going to fool anyone. And whilst I can't knock the likes on Beavertown and Brewdog for getting into bed with the big boys in order to get their beers into more places, it does seem like anyone that puts on a few cask ales and supplements it with a Beavertown Neck Oil and Meantime Lager on their kegs, along with a few bottles of Brewdog in the fridge, can claim it is a 'craft beer bar'.

Did you mean this post?  They don't mention 5.

Guest makapaka
34 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Did you mean this post?  They don't mention 5.

It only has 5 lines.

Does it just open in the evenings as I passed today at 1pm and it was closed.

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Does it just open in the evenings as I passed today at 1pm and it was closed.

I just looked on website it opens at 3pm apart from fri / sat / sun when it opens at 12.

On 24/01/2019 at 12:52, makapaka said:

It only has 5 lines.

So <5 lines of craft beer then if some of those lines are none craft!

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So <5 lines of craft beer then if some of those lines are none craft!

Or a majority of craft beers if more than 2 are.

I suppose that's true, 3 or more out of 5 is a majority...  And it is a micro pub afterall.

On 10/08/2018 at 14:41, taxman said:

The council has approved the opening of a new micropub in Hillsborough.

Concerns were raised that it could attract gangs of rowdy football fans but that doesn't appear to be the customer base they are looking for.

Even Dempsey's attracts crowds of blokes on match day. The pub can always say no. 

On 12/08/2018 at 13:15, muddycoffee said:

These new micropubs are excellent additions to the city. We are going back to how pubs traditionally developed rather than the over commercial modern chain pubs with their noisy interiors full of TVs and gambling machines.

This is happening in the centre of Bradford too. 

The Northern Monkey, Craft ale and gin bar in Hillsborough, is officially opening today, get yourselves down there...

Edited by Longy67