A new micropub in Hillsborough

8 hours ago, Olive said:

I went past yesterday at about 5pm, the place looked to be buzzing.  Have you been in yet?

Nope! Every time we walk past it is full :D really good sign - maybe some of the other pubs in the area , ie. around Hillsborough Corner, will change tack and cater for a more unique experience than Sky Sports, loud music and Carling/John Smiths.

8 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Nope! Every time we walk past it is full :D really good sign - maybe some of the other pubs in the area , ie. around Hillsborough Corner, will change tack and cater for a more unique experience than Sky Sports, loud music and Carling/John Smiths.

We can hope!

On 03/01/2019 at 15:08, DnAuK said:

That was kinda my point :)

And also wondered where they were gonna put it on Pinstone Street? Especially if they DO have a distillery in it.

Wherever its going to be, judging by the untappd checkins for the one in Hillsborough, they need to seriously up their beer game if they're claiming to be Sheffields biggest craft beer bar. 

Edited by slh73

12 hours ago, slh73 said:

Wherever its going to be, judging by the untappd checkins for the one in Hillsborough, they need to seriously up their beer game if they're claiming to be Sheffields biggest craft beer bar. 

I think sadly, the term 'craft beer' has been watered down a lot in recent years. Even the likes of Greene King and Acorn manage to get the word 'crafted' on their labels. As though that is going to fool anyone. And whilst I can't knock the likes on Beavertown and Brewdog for getting into bed with the big boys in order to get their beers into more places, it does seem like anyone that puts on a few cask ales and supplements it with a Beavertown Neck Oil and Meantime Lager on their kegs, along with a few bottles of Brewdog in the fridge, can claim it is a 'craft beer bar'.

It's definitely not a craft beer bar. Like I said a few posts back, it's more a wine/gin bar with the word "craft" put into the name. That said, they seem like nice people who run it, and it seems to be doing well, despite the slightly misleading name.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, DnAuK said:

I think sadly, the term 'craft beer' has been watered down a lot in recent years. Even the likes of Greene King and Acorn manage to get the word 'crafted' on their labels. As though that is going to fool anyone. And whilst I can't knock the likes on Beavertown and Brewdog for getting into bed with the big boys in order to get their beers into more places, it does seem like anyone that puts on a few cask ales and supplements it with a Beavertown Neck Oil and Meantime Lager on their kegs, along with a few bottles of Brewdog in the fridge, can claim it is a 'craft beer bar'.

Heaven forbid......

56 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Heaven forbid......

Yes indeed. Let me know if you ever go into a 'Chinese Restaurant' that doesn't serve much in the way of Chinese food, and whether you would be happy with that.

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, DnAuK said:

Yes indeed. Let me know if you ever go into a 'Chinese Restaurant' that doesn't serve much in the way of Chinese food, and whether you would be happy with that.

Well unless it had no Chinese food and sold hand tools I would kind of get the analogy - otherwise it’s not the same is it really?

17 hours ago, makapaka said:

Well unless it had no Chinese food and sold hand tools I would kind of get the analogy - otherwise it’s not the same is it really?

A craft ale pub that doesn't really sell much in the way of craft ale...  Sounds a lot like a Chinese restaurant that only served a few token Chinese dishes and the rest were traditional English food.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

A craft ale pub that doesn't really sell much in the way of craft ale...  Sounds a lot like a Chinese restaurant that only served a few token Chinese dishes and the rest were traditional English food.

Well no again- but ok if it makes you feel better. 

Are you sure that you understand how analogies work.  The chinese food is equivalent to the craft ale in this analogy.

Guest makapaka
52 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Are you sure that you understand how analogies work.  The chinese food is equivalent to the craft ale in this analogy.

I do yeah - but comparing a bar that sells a number of "craft" ales alongside a number of "non-craft" ales to English food in a Chinese restaurant is not analagous though is it.

It's just someone being pretentious.