Late night travel from Doncaster centre

Trying to work out how to get back to Sheffield after a "late" flight into Stansted (which actually lands before 10pm!).This is proving surprisingly difficult as sadly I won't have access to a car.

It seems the closest I can get ti home is a train to Doncaster that arrives a bit after midnight - missing the last train connection to Sheffield. Don't seem to be any buses running at that time either.

Anyone had any experience of travelling between Donny and Sheffield in teh early hours? Could anyone recommend a taxi firm that would pick up from the train station (as opposed to airport) and get me back to S6 at a reasonable price? Thank you.

Have you checked X1 and X78? They run late

Just get a taxi from the cab rank,sometimes they are not as dear as people think especially if you are more than one

I thought the x1 run to Rotherham.

Surely you have family, friends, mates, who would pick you up.

Guest busdriver1

X1 does not serve Doncaster. X78, last departure is around 10.30

Stay in a hotel at Stansted or surrounding area overnight and travel the next day?

the OP states their train arrives in Doncaster at around midnight , yet people are suggesting services where the last service leaves before 2300 ?

What we're done in the past, is to make sure we can get into central London from the arrival airport, then booked a Megabus in advance from London to Meadowhall interchange.

Booked in advance, they were as little as £3 per person.

That way, even if the flight was delayed such that we missed the last train, we still had what was effectively an insurance policy to get home for £3 plus the taxi fare from Meadowhell.

Never needed to use the ticket, but reassuring to have.

We have used it in the opposite direction to travel to the airport on the way out.

Yes, it seems all buses leave well before midnight and I have no family in the area who could pick me up at that time!

I had resigned myself to the taxi option and was wondering whether anyone could recommend a particular firm, either Sheffield or Doncaster based for the journey.

However, I do like the idea of the Megabus insurance policy for £3 in case of missing the London train. I did get an overnight National Express from Heathrow once and it was not fun, but at least it guarantees being back for work the next day!

National Express:

for example

Stanstead 00.30 - Nottingham 03:40

Nottingham 05:15 -Sheffield 06:35

Try via:

Luton Airport

London Victoria(all night)

Leicester