PCSOs, What Are They Good For?

2 different things there.

Special Constabulary: started 1673 latest enactment 1831

PCSOs: started 2002

I am sure all your dates and info are correct, but my point was, I thought the "special" constables were usually part-timers with little or no clout, a bit like the Territorial Army when conscription was stopped. Why would they call them special if they had the same powers as regular bobbies?

---------- Post added 06-08-2018 at 23:59 ----------

Nigel Mansell was a special constable on the Isle of Man. Can just hear him saying

"Hello, hello, hello, who do you think you are son, Stirling Moss me?"

:thumbsup: Good one mate, I truly did not know that, having lived in Canada the whole of his career I didn't know much about his personal life. Of course, I knew of all his racing prowess.

I am sure all your dates and info are correct, but my point was, I thought the "special" constables were usually part-timers with little or no clout, a bit like the Territorial Army when conscription was stopped. Why would they call them special if they had the same powers ..........

Originally called up from the population in times of 'special' need ..... riots etc. to supplement the regulars.

I am sure all your dates and info are correct, but my point was, I thought the "special" constables were usually part-timers with little or no clout, a bit like the Territorial Army when conscription was stopped. Why would they call them special if they had the same powers as regular bobbies?

There is a good article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constabulary about Specials.

Originally called up from the population in times of 'special' need ..... riots etc. to supplement the regulars.

And these are certainly times of 'special' need.

There is a good article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constabulary about Specials.

Thank you very much, that has cleared up all my doubts. Should have googled I guess, but still old-fashioned and inquisitive on a person to person level. I still do sums in my head, for heaven's sake Lol

Thank you very much, that has cleared up all my doubts. Should have googled I guess, but still old-fashioned and inquisitive on a person to person level. I still do sums in my head, for heaven's sake Lol

I"m exactly the same, many years ago I put £10 in my Bradford and Bingley savings a/c. the cashier used her calculator.

I"m exactly the same, many years ago I put £10 in my Bradford and Bingley savings a/c. the cashier used her calculator.

I have been saying for years that schools at least should go back to basics, because if ever computers went down for a long period, only people like us would be able to cope, but we are nearing our time now. Two billionaires Elon Musk and Mark Cuban have been holding talks on how people are going to have to be more creative thinkers to survive the rapidly advancing technologies. This to me means go back to the "brainwashing "way of teaching kids how to do things without a calculator or a laptop handy. Geez, we would have been expelled for using a calculator in an exam.

Policing on the cheap.

Half doing a coppers job for half their pay. Time these non coppers were retired en masse and replaced with the real article.

Angel1.

You ever listened to any of the Politically correct top cops lately? Jeeesus, no faith in them at all.

I have been saying for years that schools at least should go back to basics, because if ever computers went down for a long period, only people like us would be able to cope, but we are nearing our time now. Two billionaires Elon Musk and Mark Cuban have been holding talks on how people are going to have to be more creative thinkers to survive the rapidly advancing technologies. This to me means go back to the "brainwashing "way of teaching kids how to do things without a calculator or a laptop handy. Geez, we would have been expelled for using a calculator in an exam.

I nipped in to a branch of Greggs last weekend, and asked for a couple of sausage rolls.

The assistant stared blankly at me for a few seconds, before turning to a colleague who helped out by saying "He means two...."