Mobile camera in malin bridge

Coming back to one of the main points raised at the start of this thread.re lack of warning of speed cameras.

I travelled down Rivelin Valley Rd from rivelin post office end.

Counted at least 10 40mph signs and at least 6 or7 speed camera signs. How much more notice do people require. The argument that on some roads that speed limit should be higher, or lower, is no reason to break the limit that is in place at the present time, on any particular road.

driving a sports car capable of 3 times the national speed limit.

Slight hijack, but I'm curious. what car do you drive that's capable of 210mph?

( as 70mph is the national limit on motorways and dual carriageways)

obviously if you had killed someone you should instead be doing time inside (or out like naz with a ankle bracelet if you're rich).

Cameras don't address the route cause, what makes that particular road dangerous? Probably pedestrians crossing from around the baths/park and cars going too fast to avoid them. Solution, sensible traffic calming, not cameras.

well thats how it should be yes...but it seems the judiciary dont consider killing or maiming somebody with a car that much of a crime...they certainly dont stop in jail long

there are many, many cameras that DO address the root cause of accidents.

Given that exceeding the speed limit is the main cause of only 7% of accidents (according to the DfT's own figures), what do you regard as the root cause of accidents?

please bear in mind that the 'one-third' figure often quoted includes; the above, excessive speed below the limit, tailgating, changing lanes, any skids whether above or below the limit, cutting corners, running red lights etc. Even you include all those you're still left with two thirds of the accidents.

They are there to dicsourage speeding, which kills.

No, speeding (ie exceeding the speed limit) doesn't in itself kill. as has been said before inappropriate use of speed can, above or below the limit; but doing 31mph or even 35mph in a 30 mph limit doesn't automatically make a driver a dangerous nuisance to be locked up.

The latest research (again the DfT's) shows about 80% of accidents are due to inattention, i.e. people not concentrating on their driving, whatever their speed.

As an example, My last 3 bumps have been entirely down to someone else not paying attention and running into the back of me; 2 of these were at speeds below walking pace! and other at about 20mph (in a 30mph) limit. How little attention must there be (in a car park with 3 cars in it) to hit one of the other 2... especially when one of those is behind you..:rolleyes: at least the driver had the good grace to admit fault. My only experience of Happysherpa's town is not a pleasant one..

if they are really serious about making the roads safe then they would do something about the tailgating loonies using mobile phones on motorways...but that doesnt bring sixty pound a time fines in does it?

Given that exceeding the speed limit is the main cause of only 7% of accidents (according to the DfT's own figures), what do you regard as the root cause of accidents?

I never said it was all accidents did I? :roll: You are perfectly correct to say that inappropriate use of speed kills.

The causes of accidents are wide and varied, but speed plays a big part in the results of many accidents. I would love to say that compulsory training should be given to everyone, and that we should all be tested every 5 years. I'd support that wholeheartedly. :)

Sadly though there is little that can be done to improve peoples concentration levels, and like it or not, a good proportion of drivers are incredibly stupid / careless / ignorant / selfish / etc.

However, one thing that can be done easily and cheaply is to make efforts to slow them down. Speed cameras are not the whole answer, but I can understand the reasoning behind them. My essential point is that anything that improves driving behaviour is a good thing, and it's the individuals responsibility to control that right foot.

Accidents involving speed hurt. They hurt both the victims and the families. All people have to do to avoid speed tickets, is to slow down.

I never said it was all accidents did I?

No, but you did say root cause of accidents, which implies it.

You are perfectly correct to say that inappropriate use of speed kills.

The causes of accidents are wide and varied, but speed plays a big part in the results of many accidents.

simply because vehicles have to be moving, yes, but if people really paid attention to their driving there would a) be far fewer accidents and b) they would be at lower impact speeds (regardless of initial speed) becuase they would have given themselves time and space to react to any arising situation.

Sadly though there is little that can be done to improve peoples concentration levels, and like it or not, a good proportion of drivers are incredibly stupid / careless / ignorant / selfish / etc.

We can educate them, and the categories you quote are arguably the ones that need it the most.

Speed cameras are not the whole answer, but I can understand the reasoning behind them.

I used to, but they don;t put them out side the schools and hospitals, they put them 1/2 mile away on the straight section of road where it is safer (but still illegal) to exceed the limit; they don;t put them on the twisty section, they put them on the only straight dual carriageway (to allow overtaking trucks) for 10-15 miles). unfortunately, it IS now about the revenue raised.

My essential point is that anything that improves driving behaviour is a good thing, and it's the individuals responsibility to control that right foot.

But speed cameras aren't that thing, and the right foot, while important is only a single factor.

Accidents involving speed hurt. They hurt both the victims and the families. All people have to do to avoid speed tickets, is to slow down.

I agree, to avoid speeding tickets, slow down. trouble is, most of these awful accidents aren;t simply down to keeping speed down. a couple more cases in point that cameras do nothing about

a)days after my 20mph shunt, my parents were doing about 60mph on the M6 in birmingham and were hit by a left hand drive artic that simply didn;t see them in it's blind spot; it changed lane too quickly for them to take any avoiding action. their car was hit twice as it spun several times and written off. fortunately the only injuries were whiplash related. the police said this type of accident is increasingly common (pple being hit in the blind spot of LH drive trucks)

b) a few days later a cousin of mine (by his own admission) fell asleep at the wheel and woke up when his car started scraping along the central barrier, again , no injuries thankfully.

c) I was first on the scene at an RTA on Hathersage Rd just outside the Midland Bank Sports Club near Long Line at Dore where a Honda CRX was wedged under the front of a VW van. 2 people were in the car. The 18 year old in the passenger seat was quite obviously dead although completely unmarked. The 17 year old in the drivers seat was also dead, but we tried to revive him on the tarmac anyway while my wife took his brother (travelling in another car) away to comfort him as we worked on him.

The shrine by the Club gates always has fresh flowers when I drive by now.

There's now a fixed speed camera on that stretch of road and to my knowledge that was the last fatality on that stretch.

I noticed the lens sprayed with white paint last Friday, just after I passed the shrine to those youngsters. :(

Coming back to one of the main points raised at the start of this thread.re lack of warning of speed cameras.

I travelled down Rivelin Valley Rd from rivelin post office end.

Counted at least 10 40mph signs and at least 6 or7 speed camera signs. How much more notice do people require. The argument that on some roads that speed limit should be higher, or lower, is no reason to break the limit that is in place at the present time, on any particular road.

...i think he said that there are some instances where there are no warnings about the approaching speed cameras.....there are some roads where theres a camera but no sign telling you the speed limit....so i just drive at 30...then i get some impatient ******* behind who knows the road and its 40

Most? That's a bit of a casual throw away statement metalman.

How many do you consider acceptable if they are 'only' boy racers?? Do we get some sort of money back guarantee that they will 'only' be boy racers? If the camera isn't there in the daytime maybe they would wrap themselves around trees in the sunshine instead? It would make it easier to pick up the body parts of the children coming out of the park.

When you have first hand experience of serious RTA's you might think differently. When you lose family or friends you might think differently. When you show a responsible attitude to other road users you exercise some caution with that right foot.

If you read my post I didn't say anything about them 'only' being boy racers; the loss of life is completely regrettable whoever they were. It's just that I can't remember a fatal accident along that stretch of road that hasn't involved that sort of incident - whether that's because they get more publicity or whatever. Maybe you can come up with some examples, I don't know. What I am saying is that however many cameras you put along there, and whatever the speed limit is, you're unlikely to cut that sort of thing out.

And unless you're telepathic, which I doubt, then you don't know how I think. The speed limit is set along there, and I obey it, even though I don't particularly agree with it. As it happens I think it's ten miles an hour too low, so where it's 40 I think it should be 50 and where it's 30 I think it should be 40, but that doesn't mean I drive ten miles an hour faster.

Incidentally the signage out there is pretty clear if you're coming in from Ladybower, but if you go out along Rivelin Valley Road, turn left down Rails Road and then back to Crosspool, for example, there's nothing at all to tell you that the speed limit has changed to 60.

it is generally possible to work out the speed of the road based on it's type.

And to be honest, it's very rare that they are not adequately sign posted.

c) I was first on the scene at an RTA on Hathersage Rd just outside the Midland Bank Sports Club near Long Line at Dore where a Honda CRX was wedged under the front of a VW van. 2 people were in the car. The 18 year old in the passenger seat was quite obviously dead although completely unmarked. The 17 year old in the drivers seat was also dead, but we tried to revive him on the tarmac anyway while my wife took his brother (travelling in another car) away to comfort him as we worked on him.

There's now a fixed speed camera on that stretch of road and to my knowledge that was the last fatality on that stretch.

(

These accidents are truly dreadful, but the camera is not the solution. As far as I can find (and I've not driven the road lately so cannot verify) the stretch in question has been re surfaced after skid resistance was found to be marginally legal, has had new white lines painted to improve visibility, new traffic warning signs and double white lines to prevent unsafe overtaking. Still want to give the camera ALL the credit?

Cameras can have their uses in certain locations, in conjunction with other road safety measures, but they are not the panacea they are claimed to be and unfortunately are used all too often for revenue purposes in areas where they have no road safety benefit whatsoever.