Mobile camera in malin bridge

Perhaps Cyclone thinks continuing this is a bad idea, but I cant help but question why Tony has quoted the above article... well I know why - I just dont agree.

Christopher Hardy was killed in a high-speed car crash, after trying to keep up with an MG ZT sports car on Sheffield's notorious Rivelin Valley Road. The inexperienced 21-year-old didn't even hold a driving licence, yet he was alone in a powerful Ford Granada

The problem with quoting such reports in justification for mobile speed cameras is that 99.9% of the people they 'catch' are not acting in any way like the 21 year old traveling over twice the speed limit and no skill was doing. Lets face it. He crashed because he was doing the wrong speed at the wrong part of the road because of a lack of skill/experience.

I fully agree with the need for speed limits. I also understand why they dont change in relation to the road every few hundred yards and why an entire section of road is limited to the lower comon denominator stretch. I think its regretable that the speed cameras *always* choose the safest stretch of any given road to 'enforce' the limit upon. These camers pick the nice straight empty section where it is actually safe to exceed the speed limit by a few mph.

I'm also worried about the lack of knowledge regarding cars shown by the quoted reporter. It begs the question on whether they were the right person to be reporting on this. "powerful ford Granada", "MG ZT sports car"

I agree with you, but we've had 20 or 30 page threads thrashing this argument out before, some people will just never agree.

As for the reporting, they want to sell the news, it has to sound exiting.

I was making the point that the Rivelin Valley is a notorious fatal accident blackspot that kills people every year. THAT'S why they use cameras on there. As youwhatref points out, inappropriate speed and driving kills.

If you're the sort that whinges at getting a speeding ticket on an accident blackspot road covered in camera and speed signs then who can have an ounce of sympathy?

Honestly, it's quite simple. It matters not whether cameras raise revenue, the ability to avoid a ticket is beneath your right foot. I just find the moaning a bit pointless. If you get caught, just take it on the chin, or get a good solicitor, but don't moan about how unfair it is.

I've never recieved a speeding ticket in 11 years of driving. Stop making assumptions to try to sensationalise the subject.

The whole speeding debate plus the people on the board of these camera partnerships need to grow up and start learning about their subject and act upon pure facts. Not spout rubbish for years like the North Wales police chief, waste reems of tax payers money and then be forced to grudgingly back track staements to end further back in road safety, as some partnerships are, than before they were set up.

my dads got done 3 times by the same camera on the road from Stocksbridge to Hillsboro, QUOTE]

Isn't it about time he slowed down then?:huh:

If you drove on that road you would'nt be so pedantic lancs!

It goes from one speed limit to the other and then back up again very quickly. and he got caught doing about 34 each time for your information.

I've never recieved a speeding ticket in 11 years of driving. Stop making assumptions to try to sensationalise the subject.

The whole speeding debate plus the people on the board of these camera partnerships need to grow up and start learning about their subject and act upon pure facts.

And I've not had one in 20 years despite driving a sports car capable of 3 times the national speed limit.

I don't think it's me that needs to grow up. Just take some responsibility for your own actions. If and when I receive one it will be My fault, not anybody else's.

As far as im aware you don't have to alert someone to the presence of a mobile camera and the reason they hide is so that they will catch people out - easy money on that road
.....well thats not the way they tell it...part of their justification for these camers is that motorists are warned before they reach the camers site.....and....if all these cameras make the road safer then why are people still getting killed...i got 3 points on my licence and a sixty pound fine even though i never killed anybody...so wheres the reasoning???

they set unrealistic speed limits then fix a camera there..all to make money...if its about safety why have they got a 40 mile an hour limit on ecclesfield road at the side of a school???

.....well thats not the way they tell it...part of their justification for these camers is that motorists are warned before they reach the camers site.....and....if all these cameras make the road safer then why are people still getting killed...i got 3 points on my licence and a sixty pound fine even though i never killed anybody...so wheres the reasoning???

obviously if you had killed someone you should instead be doing time inside (or out like naz with a ankle bracelet if you're rich).

Cameras don't address the route cause, what makes that particular road dangerous? Probably pedestrians crossing from around the baths/park and cars going too fast to avoid them. Solution, sensible traffic calming, not cameras.

Thats a fair point cyclone, but there are many, many cameras that DO address the root cause of accidents. They are there to dicsourage speeding, which kills.

Redmires Rd is a good example, and in my own personal experience and another perfect example of that is the speed camera on Hathersage Rd close to Long Line which was recently idiotically vandalised so it doesn't work.

From what I remember most of the fatal accidents on Rivelin Valley Road have been boy racers wrapping themselves round a tree in the early hours of the morning. I wouldn't have thought the mobile camera will really have much effect on that sort of thing.

Most? That's a bit of a casual throw away statement metalman.

How many do you consider acceptable if they are 'only' boy racers?? Do we get some sort of money back guarantee that they will 'only' be boy racers? If the camera isn't there in the daytime maybe they would wrap themselves around trees in the sunshine instead? It would make it easier to pick up the body parts of the children coming out of the park.

When you have first hand experience of serious RTA's you might think differently. When you lose family or friends you might think differently. When you show a responsible attitude to other road users you exercise some caution with that right foot.