Disabled parking bays? Why???

....well...having seen all these rants i can only assume that you lot are the people who park in the disabled bays (with your authorising badges of course)and then go play football in concord park on saturday afternoons

Or maybe we're passionate disabled rights axctivists trying to fight against ignorance and wrong judgements about disabilities? Perhaps we happen to be disabled also.

I'm disabled, no I don;t have a badge and no I don't park in the disabled bays but I do not begrudge ANY legitimate disabled person parking in those bays.

Does the few extra feet you walk for those of you who are non disabled really get you this agitated? Maybe you should be getting angry about the real injustices?

The fact that a disabled graduate is less likely to get a job than a non disabled person despite them having higher ability. The fact people are victimised for having disability, sometimes to the point of death. The fact that disabled people are disriminated against for being different, for sometimes needing a bit of extra help a nd yet this is RESENTED by some of the population. Those are real injustices!

We'll see how 1/4 of you resenters feel when you suffer a mental health issue, we'll see how some of you feel if you happen to have a child born disabled, we'll see if you change your mind when you truly see how hard it is for many disabled people to get along in a world where other patronise you, pity you and give you no respect.

Disablism is rife, don't be a part of it and don't make assumptions.

Wilf

....well...having seen all these rants i can only assume that you lot are the people who park in the disabled bays (with your authorising badges of course)and then go play football in concord park on saturday afternoons

And to get the disabled badge that you appear to be so jealous of, you have to be - wait for it - DISABLED - whatever form that disability may take.

Please dont make random assumptions on posts that are all quite reasonable

well if you are a disabled person i apologise to you if i have caused offence...but as i said earlier i know the system is abused by some...and the people who suffer are the genuine

I have a nice solution that I've used on more than one occasion, I've just blocked their car in, if they've said anything then I've responded with "Tough ****"

and anybody who thinks the system isnt abused is living in cuckoo land

I have a nice solution that I've used on more than one occasion, I've just blocked their car in, if they've said anything then I've responded with "Tough ****"

Arent you a nice understanding person, please see all the above posts about disability not always being apparent :rant: :rant:

and anybody who thinks the system isnt abused is living in cuckoo land

Have you tried to get a disabled parking badge? Or are you making assumptions once again?

Wilf

no..but i know how difficult it is to get a badge...my brother in law cant get one though he has had operations on his spine and is in constant pain when walking...yet i know someone who has got the full monty in cars, benefits and car badges and he plays football in the street with his grandkids...he has been reported many times by people on his road and he still gets away with it..wheres the fairness in that

no..but i know how difficult it is to get a badge...my brother in law cant get one though he has had operations on his spine and is in constant pain when walking...yet i know someone who has got the full monty in cars, benefits and car badges and he plays football in the street with his grandkids...he has been reported many times by people on his road and he still gets away with it..wheres the fairness in that

Are seriously trying to suggest that life is not fair?

Welcome to life amigo:thumbsup:

And to get the disabled badge that you appear to be so jealous of, you have to be - wait for it - DISABLED - whatever form that disability may take.

I’m not quite sure how this applies, but non-disabled drivers can use a blue badge — one that I think they have to apply for — if they are carrying a disabled person who, for example, may not be able to drive. Trouble is, some of those drivers take advantage of the badge to do their shopping and park in a disabled bay; although the law says that this is not allowed.

And in reply to other posters, I am entitled to a Disability Living Allowance of a little over £60 a week. If I took that allowance — I don’t because I still earn money through my own business — I would be taking from it the £55 a month it costs me to lease a chair-lift, the £6.25 an hour I pay my cleaner (4 hours a week), and every now and again a replacement wheelchair which can cost anything up to £350; all of which adds up to a huge slice of the £66+ a week I could get if I needed it. And I haven’t included the cost of equipment to get me in and out of the bath!

I’m not quite sure how this applies, but non-disabled drivers can use a blue badge — one that I think they have to apply for — if they are carrying a disabled person who, for example, may not be able to drive. Trouble is, some of those drivers take advantage of the badge to do their shopping and park in a disabled bay; although the law says that this is not allowed.

And in reply to other posters, I am entitled to a Disability Living Allowance of a little over £60 a week. If I took that allowance — I don’t because I still earn money through my own business — I would be taking from it the £55 a month it costs me to lease a chair-lift, the £6.25 an hour I pay my cleaner (4 hours a week), and every now and again a replacement wheelchair which can cost anything up to £350; all of which adds up to a huge slice of the £66+ a week I could get if I needed it. And I haven’t included the cost of equipment to get me in and out of the bath!

i know plenty of disabled people and i'm aware of how much disability aids cost..bath aids chair raisers etc...must say i admire your resolve in continuing to earn your living while struggling with a disability..especially a business which is very demanding

I know two people who both have disabilities, one of these people 'appears' less disabled than the other but they have a blue badge and the other person doesn't.

The reason is because of changes over time in both the system and the individuals. Person A was awarded lifetime disability status and higher rate DLA (mobility component) and qualifies automatically for a blue badge, despite operations undertaken to minimise the effect of the disability. Person B developed a disability in recent years and although has significant difficulty in terms of mobility is unable to qualify for DLA because the rules have become increasingly stringent, they don't have DLA and don't have a blue badge.

However, to look at them both, person A would appear less disabled than person B. But, that's the way the system is.

To qualify for DLA and a blue badge an individual has to 'pass' some pretty rigorous criteria. From what I understand, the mobility component alone requires that they cannot walk more than a few yards without severe difficulty and/or pain or putting their life at risk.

Now, I frequently see people who 'appear' to be walking (alone) without any difficulty from the supermarket doors to their vehicle which is parked in the disabled bay and displaying a blue badge. It does make me wonder what it is that is wrong with them that qualifies them for a blue badge - but I know that appearances can be very deceptive - severe pain for example cannot be seen. That said, I can see why some people who may not appreciate the severity of 'hidden disabilities' will question the validity of someone's claim to a blue badge.

What galls me are the new breed of disabled drivers - you know the one's: the cash point cripple for example - perfectly fit and healthy people who have to park as close as possible to a cash point machine no matter how it may block the road or inconvenience others. Then there's the visually impaired drivers - the one's who cannot read/see road signs, other road users or pedestrians. There's many more.... :hihi: