5-year sentence and out in less than 2 years??

Hi all.

I'm kinda confused re. sentences. For example, someone received a 5-year sentence back in September 2016 and apparently they've been released in the last few weeks.

I thought you only do half of what you're given, and in the above case, 2.5 years from Sep. 2016 would take us to March. 2019.

How come they've been released much sooner?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I'm kinda confused re. sentences. For example, someone received a 5-year sentence back in September 2016 and apparently they've been released in the last few weeks.

I thought you only do half of what you're given, and in the above case, 2.5 years from Sep. 2016 would take us to March. 2019.

How come they've been released much sooner?

Thanks.

As I understand it all sentences are in two parts. The punishment tariff (the part served in custody) and the rehabilitation tariff (the part served on parole). This is usually a 50/50 split as you say, time can be r3duced from the punishment tariff for good behaviour in prison. This time isn’t reduced from the overall sentence it just increases the rehabilitation portion.

In your case 5yrs will still be served just not in an exact 50/50 split.

If the person had served time in prison on remand prior to being sentenced this time would count towards their sentence. Also, depending on the offence and their background they may have been eligible for early release on Home Detention Curfew i.e an electronic tag.