Deterrents: do we need them?

For sure the buses will be insured, but that is not what I was referring to. I have heard of cases where insurance companies chase up the culprits to recover what they have paid out. Not the normal RTAs.

These 2 guys are paying more than I have seen awarded before, dont you think its a step in the right direction?

A small step, but there is still a large gulf to cross.

They should hang the full cost around their stupid necks and make them spend the rest of their life paying it off.

My car is insured if someone steals it, wont the buses be insured too?

Yes, but as the company said the insurance premium has shot right up costing them in the long run.

Perhaps part from the loss of the bus and part because it was so easy for two drunken idiots to be able to steal it in the first place.

Insurance company shouldn't have to pick up the pieces though, the shouldn't have to pay for the actions of some destructive morons while they contribute just a pittance in recompense for their own actions.

Edited by geared

Forced labour camp until they've payed their full debt off.

Yes. Insurers have a right of subrogation. See https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/subrogation

Whatever rights the injured party (P) had against the tortfeasor (D) are effectively 'sold' to the insurer (IN).

IN pays-out P. P assigns to IN all rights against D. IN can enforce them, if that's worth doing.

The judge ordered them each to pay £10,000 compensation to Pulham's at £400 a month.

I don't think paying £10,000 each would be possible if they had been sent to jail. The judge has set a good punishment for the pair.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/teenagers-take-bus-nine-mile-1840086

And you REALLY expect them to pay??? :lol::lol:

Another pitiful sentence dished out. https://trib.al/88JeKYe

Another one who wants putting down before he kills somebody, no good for anything and never will be.

At least it would stop him breeding.

Has anyone else noticed the violent repeat offenders that get let off with suspended sentences are listed as no fixed abode.