Apple. First One Trillion Dollar Company.

Apple has become the first company to be worth 1 trillion dollars - £767 billion.

I wonder how much of that is in the hands of private investors and how much is owned by the likes of non-US central banks.

Pay some taxes then apple

That would be nice. Amazon made £80m profit but paid 4.7m in corporation tax and deferred (deferred!!!!!! Geoff wassisname is worth ****ing billions!!!!!!) £2.9m. Somebody is taking the **** somewhere.

I've had a look on how to defer it, cos I'd like to half my corporatiintax payments and lo and behold I can't find a thing on the governments website.

It is so easy to take the mickey out of Apple, I used to do it for years, then I got a first gen iPad and an MacBook Air (both hand-me-downs) and never looked back, it was a revelation compared to the clunky hardware I had used until then.

Since I've got the latest iPad (which by no means is overpriced by the way), an iMac 27 that I use regularly for intensive tasks like video and audio editing without a problem, three years after purchase, and an iPhone SE that is still going strong after three years.

No regrets.

The build quality of an aluminium MacBook is a pleasant surprise after several years of using cheap plastic Windows laptops, but I stand by my comment that the ipad is overpriced since you can buy a more-capable Windows laptop for the same price.

In Apple's favour, I'd argue that although Apple kit is more expensive than a non-Apple equivalent, the Apple kit will hold it's value longer (witness the mugs buying previously-owned Core 2 Duo Macs for the same price as a Core-i3 or i5 Windows laptop.

That would be nice. Amazon made £80m profit but paid 4.7m in corporation tax and deferred (deferred!!!!!! Geoff wassisname is worth ****ing billions!!!!!!) £2.9m. Somebody is taking the **** somewhere.

I've had a look on how to defer it, cos I'd like to half my corporatiintax payments and lo and behold I can't find a thing on the governments website.

This should be huge. People shold be up in arms about it, but no, they'd rather focus on anti-semitism in the Labour party or some such.

Amazon insists it pays what it has to, in which case, it's the tax law that needs to be brought up to date to deal with the new reality. The government has been promising to do something about this for ever, but nothing changes. The truth is we are a massive tax haven and the Conservatives are quite happy to remain so, at our expense.

This should be huge. People shold be up in arms about it, but no, they'd rather focus on anti-semitism in the Labour party or some such.

Amazon insists it pays what it has to, in which case, it's the tax law that needs to be brought up to date to deal with the new reality. The government has been promising to do something about this for ever, but nothing changes. The truth is we are a massive tax haven and the Conservatives are quite happy to remain so, at our expense.

Amazon has had plenty of media time over it. I just think they don't give a ****. Because it's online it's complicated (and a fair chunk of their invoices have Luxembourg addresses on them) but a sizeable chunk of it comes from sending tat from giant warehouses in Doncaster etc.

I'm keen on ensuring they pay what's due on that. I don't think the government has the time or motivation to untangle the likes of them and other multinationals with brexit taking up all their attention. I'm not sure corbyn can fix it post brexit either.

Amazon has had plenty of media time over it. I just think they don't give a ****. Because it's online it's complicated (and a fair chunk of their invoices have Luxembourg addresses on them) but a sizeable chunk of it comes from sending tat from giant warehouses in Doncaster etc.

I'm keen on ensuring they pay what's due on that. I don't think the government has the time or motivation to untangle the likes of them and other multinationals with brexit taking up all their attention. I'm not sure corbyn can fix it post brexit either.

Well they should have. It would make all the difference to our financial situation and an end to 'austerity.'

Not only that, it might help end the divisions and resentment many people in this country feel over the 'one rule for us and another for them' ethos we seem to be generating.

[/b]

Well they should have. It would make all the difference to our financial situation and an end to 'austerity.'

Not only that, it might help end the divisions and resentment many people in this country feel over the 'one rule for us and another for them' ethos we seem to be generating.

Anna, one reason is this:

"Great texts tend to be short, pithy and to the point. The Ten Commandments, possibly the most powerful document of all time, are 288 words long. The US constitution, including the Bill of Rights and all subsequent amendments, is 8,164 words, just short enough to be memorised.

By contrast, the UK tax code has ballooned to a preposterous 10 million words, according to the accountancy body Icas. No single human being understands more than a smallish fraction of it. The 2015-16 edition of Tolley’s yellow and orange handbooks, the tax lawyers’ bible, comes in at a record 21,602 pages. It’s a hopeless, dreadful situation."

That's not Amazon's or Apple's fault, whose is it?

Anna, one reason is this:

"Great texts tend to be short, pithy and to the point. The Ten Commandments, possibly the most powerful document of all time, are 288 words long. The US constitution, including the Bill of Rights and all subsequent amendments, is 8,164 words, just short enough to be memorised.

By contrast, the UK tax code has ballooned to a preposterous 10 million words, according to the accountancy body Icas. No single human being understands more than a smallish fraction of it. The 2015-16 edition of Tolley’s yellow and orange handbooks, the tax lawyers’ bible, comes in at a record 21,602 pages. It’s a hopeless, dreadful situation."

That's not Amazon's or Apple's fault, whose is it?

It's squarely the fault of the Government.

The tax system has been needing a radical overhaul for years. Never more so than now, as new systems of doing things are coming on line. The tax system must catch up and keep up, before the high street etc is a thing of the past.

Not to do so is sheer neglect. The Conservative Government are too interested in keeping tax loopholes open for their cronies and doners.

It's squarely the fault of the Government.

The tax system has been needing a radical overhaul for years. Never more so than now, as new systems of doing things are coming on line. The tax system must catch up and keep up, before the high street etc is a thing of the past.

Not to do so is sheer neglect. The Conservative Government are too interested in keeping tax loopholes open for their cronies and doners.

If they're interested in keeping them open, why are they closing them?

If they're interested in keeping them open, why are they closing them?

They aren't. They're piddling round the edges. What they say they're going to do (reported) and what they actually do, (unreported) are two different things.

They aren't. They're piddling round the edges. What they say they're going to do (reported) and what they actually do, (unreported) are two different things.

Pray tell.. which tax loopholes have they claimed to have closed which they actually haven't?