Have you heard of these sayings ?

anyone remember saying "off o't hooks" meaning not feeling very well?

anyone remember saying "off o't hooks" meaning not feeling very well?

Yes, and "feeling badly", both have the same meaning.

ooh yeah thats another one innit? "feelin badly" I just use that all the time without realising it sounds wierd

I remember my mum saying this to me when I was a kid and I say it now to my kids..

When asking "Whats for tea?" Mum and I say "A run round table and a bite off leg" :D

and another one.."whats fer tea?" "Bread an scratchit"

I've just thought of something else..

The other day I said to my OH "Its going to rain in a bit".. His reply was "Oh its ok, its just a bit dull over Bills Mothers".. We don't know anyone called bill never mind his mother..

I asked him what he was talking about and he said it was an old saying for when it gets a bit overcast..

Then, yesterday, my mum said the exact same thing.. She said her mum (my nan) used to say it too when ever it was overcast..

Anyone else heard of this saying ??

I was brought up in meersbrook and we called it going round the lump,that is walking in a circular route arriving back were you started without crossing over a street.That gets me wondering what is the longest lump in sheffield?,from my house at the bottom of derbyshire lane you could walk all the way around meersbrook park and back.

My Mam used to say s***t with sugar on :o:hihi:

We used to get "iffits"

I was brought up in meersbrook and we called it going round the lump,that is walking in a circular route arriving back were you started without crossing over a street.That gets me wondering what is the longest lump in sheffield?,from my house at the bottom of derbyshire lane you could walk all the way around meersbrook park and back.

That was our stomping ground too, Meersbrook Park seemed so big then, we could spend all day in there during the 6 weeks' holidays.

I remember when we used to start a game of "dialio" (no idea how to spell it), we would go as far as Meersbrook Park from Upper Valley Road and then forget that we were supposed to be playing a game.

When we got home as it was going dark we'd say that we'd "just been round t'lump"

I've just thought of something else..

The other day I said to my OH "Its going to rain in a bit".. His reply was "Oh its ok, its just a bit dull over Bills Mothers".. We don't know anyone called bill never mind his mother..

I asked him what he was talking about and he said it was an old saying for when it gets a bit overcast..

Then, yesterday, my mum said the exact same thing.. She said her mum (my nan) used to say it too when ever it was overcast..

Anyone else heard of this saying ??

My mum used to say" It's black at back of Bills Mothers" often wonder who Bills Mother is

Edited by legs 49
spelling

Remember being fed up, Browned off, cheesed off. or Dead chuffed, laughin little little apples, over moon, Happy as Larry.

Which meant I was either Full as a butchers dog or sick as a parrot..

Being told I had a "come day go day hurry up Sunday" attitude to work,or thick as a plank.

Being threatened with a clip round lug oil,a backhander a thick ear or having me back side tanned and if I were really bad all me gallivanting stopped !!!....

Happy days..

Edited by grinder