Have you heard of these sayings ?

for someone who`s been rushing around, my Dad used to say "in and out like a f*rt in a colander, can`t get out for `t `oles"

for someone who`s been rushing around, my Dad used to say "in and out like a f*rt in a colander, can`t get out for `t `oles"

In our house we don't use the "in and out" bit, but if someone is being particularly inept, or useless, then they are described as a f*rt in a colander.

and just thought of "chavvelled" meaning chewed up

We said it as "chommelled" or "chammelled" in our family.

Planin Talker you got it spot on from in hour house. Usually my sis got it from Mum, ' Get outa way yor, like a *art in a colinder, do it miself '. :roll:

Planin Talker you got it spot on from in hour house. Usually my sis got it from Mum, ' Get outa way yor, like a *art in a colinder, do it miself '. :roll:

The other one we heard, frequently, was "it's like Pee-ing in bed, awakken"

That as much use as a Chocolate tea pot (fire guard) in our house...

i think the sheffield dialect is brilliant,my hubbys american an is always laffing at some of the things we say,he nearly died the first time a bus driver called him love i could write a book!!!he loves our accent and when i go over to see his family i have to slow my speech down and think what im sayin as they sometimes look at me gone out and havent a clue what im on about lol

hiya what about my brother-in-law he has lived in america for thirty odd years and he still talks as if he's living in the park district, he is 66 now and joined the army at 18 and he still speaks the same now as he did then, his american wife of 30 years just laughs when they come over here.as for around the lump when i was young we woud say al race de round lump to settle any disputes, answer was big lump ort little lump?

Edited by willybite

i grew up in bakewell , lived in australia twenty yrs , they thought i wa odd coz i called everyone duck lol

Great one, I think it is really sad when people try to change there accent as so many do. Be who you are, not how people would like you to be. People are loved more for being themselves. :D

I remember a phrase used at home. 'It was all mi eye and Fanny Martin', which was to say something wasn't right.

Does anyone know who Fanny Martin was?

Happy Days! PopT