Have you heard of these sayings ?

Worse bit was if you got some soap in your eye or up your nose, you then got a gob full of soap when you shouted "hold it"...

The times I've nearly swallowed that flannel....:rant:

Edited by grinder

Sheffield was built on seven hills (lumps) this could be one of the explanations for this saying.

And the soil in the garden was so sad nothing would grow there except some scraggy grass tufts.

mind you when I say garden I use the term loosely....

It was a part of the yard where they played football or cricket depending, and the asphalt had worn through..

For years I thought of it as our garden and me dad had planted those Dandelions...

Oh ah, a saying,

"Where there's muck there's money"......

hiya remember this "get puddin basin aart am gooin a gi thee an aircut" i remember going to a barber when i was about eight when i got home my mum was none too pleased with the result he had cut it to about a quarter ot an inch but left a bunch of hair over my forehead the word after that was he was called herman the german.

my dad told me when he was 14/15 years old in the 1920s their barber would cut hair in the week free until you got paid, trouble was he would leave a diamond of hair uncut till you paid,then he would finnish it off. i remember my granddad pulling me up for talking sheffield isms, then he was a lincolnshire lad

talking about grass and gardens, after d day we had a bonfire in our yard in between two brick shelters the day after the tarmac was melted in a big circle where the fire had been so the neighbour

next door said go on the spare land and pull some tuffts of grass to make a small lawn in its place. he even built a greenhouse on top of one shelter growing tomatoes, don't think he had much success where we lived,.

Edited by willybite

The same here:- in the fast lane, my mother used to suggest! lol

hiya when i was a lad it was wach dem ors an carts dem big lms/lner railway wons wit big ors pullin dem, wot da torkin abart, e wer at it like a figglers elbow,

I recently re-visited the book 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist'

Tressell referred to the Coddy.

It struck a chord with me ,we used to use it to refer to the foreman.

You would go onto a job and ask "Where is the Coddy"

hiya when i was a lad it was wach dem ors an carts dem big lms/lner railway wons wit big ors pullin dem, wot da torkin abart, e wer at it like a figglers elbow,

Hi Willybite,

It is a wonder that we ever learned to speak correctly no thanks to our parents. My Mum would often say "What are you smirking at, you'll be laughing at the other side of your face in a minute".

Or she would say "I'll wipe that smile of your face".

My Dad was just as bad as he was often heard to say to my little brother:- "Where's your brother? he's out on his bike Dad, "Bike,....Bike.....I'll give him bike when he gets in".

Well, our parents, God bless them, meant well and brought us up properly and learned us how to respect our elders.

shesezitintisburraberritis (She says it isn't his but, I bet it is).

Many years ago my mother's friend who was head of an Attercliffe school related a story of when the school nurse came to examine the pupils. One child didn't understand the request, "Open your mouth and put out your tongue" which bemused the child whereupon the child's mother approached the child and said, "Oppen thi gob an' stick thi lolly licker aht", it worked!

LOVE THAT ONE graet stuff on here

Hello Warday, These old sayings must never die. In my days as a kid it was not accepted that you left anything on your plate when you had finished your tea. I'm full now Mum, can I go out and play. All of a sudden Dad would bellow out "get it down tha puddin chute then tha can clear off". Guess what, we definitely cleared our plates.

Hello Warday, These old sayings must never die. In my days as a kid it was not accepted that you left anything on your plate when you had finished your tea. I'm full now Mum, can I go out and play. All of a sudden Dad would bellow out "get it down tha puddin chute then tha can clear off". Guess what, we definitely cleared our plates.

Yes mallymcshort,if we diden't clear our plate my dad would put it on the celler head & put it back on the table the day after.

I recently re-visited the book 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist'

Tressell referred to the Coddy.

It struck a chord with me ,we used to use it to refer to the foreman.

You would go onto a job and ask "Where is the Coddy"

One of the colloquial meanings of coddy was "queer" or gay as we now say.

A little naughty I know but does anybody remember 'mankin'? My old aunt used to use it to describe people who were having extra marital affairs. 'Ese bin of mankin he as'

My parents always used "mankin" for having a kiss or a cuddle, not specifically for extra marital affairs?

Mi fatha allus ust ter seh, "tek thi ands ahrter thi skyrockets" if we walked along with our hands in our pockets!

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

My dad used to say that alot