Have you heard of these sayings ?

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

My MIL says it (she lives here). I'd not heard of it in my part of the Midlands...we used to say a walk around the block.

Yes we used the round the block too....but round the lump seems a strange word to use...wonder where it originated from

Good, its not just me thats old fashioned then...(my grandsons words)..lol

Does anyone know why the word "lump" was used though

We still use it in our house :).

I always use it ,used it infront of my boss who`s from Posh and he hadnt a clue but two or three other locals all new exactly what I was on about

We used to live on a road that had a double lump as kids and had organised trolley races

My Grandad use to say it a lot and my dad still does. I said it one time to my OH who is not from Yorkshire at all, and he was baffled what i was saying, yet his farther who was born in Yorkshire and now lives in king lynn for over 20 years love hearing this and other Yorkshire talk from me has he says he misses the Yorkshire slang, so i always wondered if it was Yorkshire saying and not just a Sheffield one.

We used it just to walk around a few houses...strange!!..lol

My Grandad use to say it a lot and my dad still does. I said it one time to my OH who is not from Yorkshire at all, and he was baffled what i was saying, yet his farther who was born in Yorkshire and now lives in king lynn for over 20 years love hearing this and other Yorkshire talk from me has he says he misses the Yorkshire slang, so i always wondered if it was Yorkshire saying and not just a Sheffield one.

Maybe someone on here can enlighten us...:)

I say it now even though I live in Leicertershire. Ok they look at me as if Im nuts but old habits are hard to lose.

Back in the 1940s when I was a kid we played cowboys and indians round the lump.