Have you heard of these sayings ?

Yes I remember this saying and others that my mum used, one of which was well "Well -I go to the bottom of our stairs" and my grandmother used to say "Who'd like to wash and change me for threppence". There were many others, but the old memory isn't what it was. If I recall I will come back.

Md

In our house, way, way back, “ I’ll go to the foot of our stairs! “ was a comment made in disbelief of something as I recall.

Another was said when in desperation of someone ie. “ I ‘ll knock her into the middle of next week!!”

Just wish I could remember them all from my childhood!

Mutton dressed as lamb, Kris.

She said this as well.

The sayings I like most are the nonsense ones.

Mentioned before, "Followed a muck cart thought it was a wedding"

If you ever see a weasel asleep wee in its' eye.

Our cat weed up your entry. Usually after the telling of a long drawn out story

Sounded much better using original words but don't want to sound vulgar.

got said by my mother.

It's a hard life if you don't weaken

On 08/01/2011 at 15:17, soft ayperth said:
frenchfrie said:
One saying I recollect but haven't heard in ages is 'mimimoking'. If I tried to impersonate one of my mom's sayings or mannerisms I'd be told in no uncertain terms to 'stop mimimoking'.

Anyone else used that expression?

The expression for that behaviour in our family was "slow timing."

We say mimimoking in Chesterfield. My mum used to go mad if she caught us at it.

On 09/01/2011 at 00:02, lyndyloo said:

i wer allas told i'd get gorma ruckles when i sat on the cold backdoor step that was early 50s still dont know what it means.was anyone else goina get brained when they were in trouble

My grandma (Chesterfield born and bred) used to say when the weather was miserable that looking out of the window "was enough to gi' yer' gormaruckles" which I assumed meant make you feel miserable. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything about it on t'internet.

My old mum, who is in her 80's, still uses the word "mimimokin'" whenever she thinks that we are sniggering at her, rolling our eyes, taking the mickey, or laughing at her behind her back. She gets really wound up and angry when she thinks we're doing this - which just makes us "mimimoke" her all the more!

When I first moved to live and work in London, more than 40 years ago, the old Sheffield expression I used that always confused and/or amused my new friends and colleagues the most, was when I said I was going to "mash", when I was about to make a cup, or a pot, of tea.  They assumed that I was going to boil a load of tea leaves and water in a saucepan - then mash them with a fork - like making mashed potato!

😁

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Mimimoking was a common family word for us - we are a Swallownest family going back lots of generations and almost all of the sayings on this web site were common to us.  Mimimoking could sometimes get you "a  clip around the ear'ole"

Another word my grandmother used was "Chissiking" when myself and my 2 cousins were talking and giggling as young children - we were born  in the years 1940, 1942 and 1943 - "war babies"

However, none of us have lived in Swallownest  since my parents moved to Handsworth in 1970

left Swallownest in lte 1969 for Driffield in East Yorkshire, but there the common sayings were different. But living in Malaysia since late 2006 I never hear them othr than from family members when they visit a few times a year (in non virus times of course)

Best Wishes from Hot and Sunny Malaysia  -9-56am and already 94 degrees - by late morning it will be 98 - 101 which is usual because we have no seasons, just year pong hot summer - never below 86/87 during the night

If I was nervous about say an event or just in a situation I felt uncomfortable in, my Mom used to say, "Just act daft and let thi nose run". 

1 hour ago, Lorisue said:

If I was nervous about say an event or just in a situation I felt uncomfortable in, my Mom used to say, "Just act daft and let thi nose run". 

If I told mi mother my nose was running, she'd say " run after it "

as frenchie said, my old mum also used the expression  "slow timing" when she thought that we were taking the mickey - i.e  that we were "minimoking" her. (or is it "mimimoking"...with an "m" as the 3rd letter)? These old words and expressions are brilliant. I am never sure where they originated from, but I hope they never die out. I'm in my 60's now, but whenever I'm speaking to my lovely 8 year old nephew,  I make a deliberate effort to use my old grandparents' and parents' expressions  whenever I can.....just to try to keep these quaint old sayings alive for as long as possible. 

My mother's reply to "what's for tea?" was one of two, firstly " a run round the kitchen table & a kick at the pantry door", the second more crudely was " <removed> wi sugar on!"

Edited by nikki-red

Going for a wazz was a saying a mate of mine at work said a lot.