Have you heard of these sayings ?

If my Mother found our house in a mess she would say " this is a right pleck" I was told today that pleck came from a Dutch word meaning basic or plain.

Remembering things my grandma use to say..................

Have you heard of these:

San Pisall.........meaning: to strike someone.

Soft brasened........meaning: being cheeky in either the way younger people address the older generation / or in the way they conduct themselves.

Getting the silent treatment in the morning, 'Awreet love? Silence. 'Ave y'got monk on'?

As a youngster, new to the workforce, I used to hear a lot of weird and sometimes funny phrases. One I remember, and I heard it more than once was ''put thee hat back on thi er sackin towd uns"

Referring to some unusual or strange object, people used to say "We had one of them but the wheel fell off".

When looking for something lost in the home the reply was usually "it's in a bottle in t'cupboard" or "up shah's <removed> on t' second shelf".

Edited by nikki-red

Itrained as a gymnast from an early age and was always practising in our garden,my mum worried by some of my antics and shouted"don't come running to me when you break both your legs" and if she slapped us she always said"do you want another one"

thas as thin as a satdi chicken,my dad used it

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 02:02 ----------

my dad used to say "stop pickin tha noo us,the eared ul cave in"

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 02:55 ----------

the satdi chicken or shillin chickin come about because when the market closed on a satdi they slod the leftover ones cheap,all the best ones had gone and only the scraggy thin ones were left and only cost a shilling

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 02:58 ----------

my late brother had a book of Yorkshire Bible Stories, it was all written in broad yorkshire dialect and was hilarious,don't know what happened to it, has anyone else ever seen one?

"Whats for tea mam" "three runs at cupboard door". still don't know what she meant.

"Whats for tea mam" "three runs at cupboard door". still don't know what she meant.

At our house it was "a run roundt' kitchen table and a kick ont' cellar dooer."

At our house it was "a run roundt' kitchen table and a kick ont' cellar dooer."

That was the same at arhowse.

Another saying our mother use to say if she had been short changed or conned in anyway was that it was a Swizz or a Swizzle.

Anyone remember when a pocket or clasp knife was closed, and it really snapped shut because it had a strong spring, was said to 'talk'.

I think that word must be"Torque" it's an engineering term for how much turning force is needed to open the penknife.