Have you heard of these sayings ?

Does anyone else say, when shocked about something, 'oh my godfathers'

I say it but have no idea where it came from.

A neighbor used to exclaim, "Jesus wept!", all the time.

A good friend of my fathers always used to say "Jesus wept, and well he might! "

What about these 2 : "nesh" and "swanking"

Victor - Hot and Sunny Malaysia

What about these 2 : "nesh" and "swanking"

Victor - Hot and Sunny Malaysia

Nesh is fairly commonly used, but swanking is unusual. Does it mean the same as tonking?

Great Sheffield saying, this one.

HOW MUCH????

Yes, we used to say "going just round the lump" in Ecclesall in 1940 to 50. My auntie in Birmingham said "round the block"--- very strange I thought.

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

of course we do all sheffielders would know that at least all south yorks and Yorkshire would know it

Re the post from Scoobz

Yes, Nesh is probably still fairly common, but I see that "swanking" may not be. I was born in Swallownest, (1940), but I do not think it was just a local saying.

As the Oxford English Dictionary states - "Swank - to Show Off". Example if a kid had a new bike, or even new clothes and shoes, or a new anything and he/she flaunted it in front of the other kids then he/she was accused of "swanking" or "swanking off"

However, almost all of the others mentioned on this thread I can remember easily. Some I still use, but my wife being from Hull sometimes has to ask for an explanation. But she also says things I do not know the meaning of - example 2 or 3 weeks ago she said "we were coggling on Kevin's bike" Kevin being her younger brother. I had no idea what this meant, but was informed that "coggling" was my wife riding on the crossbar of her brothers bike.

Best Wishes - Monday 7-35am and a cool 89 degrees right now - need to get our my sheepskin coat !!!!!

I remember this saying. It was used by my grand parents, however they only used the term in relation to a particular round route in Malin Bridge. Not sure if this is of any help??

Any one remember if a small child was called a 'Chabby' or a 'Chavvy' , or did it just depend which side of Sheffield you came from ?

Edited by grinder

Any one remember if a small child was called a 'Chabby' or a 'Chavvy' , or did it just depend which side of Sheffield you came from ?

Chabby was Heeley and Arbourthorne, circa 1950.