Have you heard of these sayings ?

Ah bur he dint he ony thought he did.

Am not aife as green as am cabbage lookin..

Edited by grinder

Am not aife as green as am cabbage lookin..

hiya i remember 60 odd years ago watching sheff united c c and a missed catch by frank melling when a wag shouted for him to bend his blxxding back,

another saying was his cockled oar reight,

and that old joke when the lad went to have his haircut like tony curtis the barber gave him the short back and sides, to which he said " thats not how tony curtis has his cut" he would if he come in here farr his air dun said the barber.

My Grandmother used to say (when any of us stumbled or nearly fell)

"Steady Barker!"

Is this known to anyone else ? I always assumed it was just her saying it.

My Grandmother used to say (when any of us stumbled or nearly fell)

"Steady Barker!"

Is this known to anyone else ? I always assumed it was just her saying it.

"Steady Barker" was one of the catch-phrases of Eric Barker, a popular comedian on the radio during and after the war. He was probably best known for a series called "Just Fancy" with Deryck Guyler, Pearl Hackney and Kenneth Connor, which was broadcast on the BBC Home Service between 1951 and 1957. I remember it well!

"Steady Barker" was one of the catch-phrases of Eric Barker, a popular comedian on the radio during and after the war. He was probably best known for a series called "Just Fancy" with Deryck Guyler, Pearl Hackney and Kenneth Connor, which was broadcast on the BBC Home Service between 1951 and 1957. I remember it well!

Excellent thank you. I also found this little snippet.

This well known phrase from the popular Radio series Merry-Go-Round performed by comedian Eric Barker as a forces show during the second world war.

The phrase was the catch line of one of Barker's characters he played as a series of sketches, It became so popular at the time that Naval personnel began to use it in general conversation as a reference when there was a need to steady oneself, or to 'get a grip!' or be warned of an approaching problem or disaster ! In this manner, British Sailors adopted the phrase to ready themselves for possible German U boat attack and other such situations.

Does anyone else say, when shocked about something, 'oh my godfathers'

I say it but have no idea where it came from.

Three from our family

Yer gobbin

Well a'l go fo mi tea

blood and snot

Ah wouldn't pay him out in weshers!