Have you heard of these sayings ?

And mek sure tha has a wesh, not a bloody cat's lick.:)

and when tha did have a good wesh thid seh tha looked like a new scaped carrat

My Dad used to tell me I had mussels like Sparrows Knee caps, or was it knots in cotton.?

And a flat tyre would be, as flat as a pan cake...

My Dad used to tell me I had mussels like Sparrows Knee caps, or was it knots in cotton.?

And a flat tyre would be, as flat as a pan cake...

hiya grinder,

where did all the names we used come from.? like napper,crust,noggin,lard heeard,bladder heeard,bonce, all describe the head, bonce cover, bin lid,=cap, haircut to teck it daarn tut booern,

Edited by willybite

Hi willybite,

When you look at all the dialects plus the word meanings we've altered over a relatively few years it's not hard to see how the worlds different languages have come about,

Is it me owd mucker..

My gran used to say:

It's all mi eye and Peggy Martin

and

Yer know what thought did, follered a dust cart and thought it worrer weddin'

Hi willybite,

When you look at all the dialects plus the word meanings we've altered over a relatively few years it's not hard to see how the worlds different languages have come about,

Is it me owd mucker..

hiya grinder j, wish thad tork proper wen tha puhs pen tu paper insted ur goin allposh wi sumadi werds lyk, dialects,relatively,altered, and such thal be havin the fish an chips on a plate next. ha ha.

we used to use both it differed with which pat of the city you live ,we all knew what it meant

...Yer know what thought did, follered a dust cart and thought it worrer weddin'
'E didn't - 'e only thought 'e did..;)

My gran used to say:

Yer know what thought did, follered a dust cart and thought it worrer weddin'

Bit posh that in it ?

When I heard it it were a muck cart...

Being obstroculess was some thing I remember being accused of as a kid ,anybody know what it means ?

Oh and creating Pandemonium.

They weren't short of big words back then were they, but by, they did shut you up..

Edited by grinder

Being obstroculess was some thing I remember being accused of as a kid ,anybody know what it means ?

Oh and creating Pandemonium.

They weren't short of big words back then were they, but by, they did shut you up..

obstroculous was a corruption of "obstreperous":-

Noisily and stubbornly defiant. Aggressively boisterous. [From Latin obstreperus , noisy, from obstrepere , to make a noise against

Pandemonium:-

1. wild confusion; uproar

2. a place of uproar and chaos

[coined by Milton to designate the capital of hell in Paradise Lost, from pan- + Greek daimōn demon]

3. the abode of all demons; Hell.

Hi Grinder

The correct word is obstreporous but I like the Sheffieldism best. It means awkward as in a right okerd little beggar. This is the first time I've heard it in years. I also wer called it a lot as a kid.