Have you heard of these sayings ?

yes it does appear to be of norse origin

what fascinates me is why did this word survive when others did'nt?

Yes, we always used to say silin it down, don't know why or anything, just did.

Our 'Lump' on the Cross was Wordsworth Ave, Remington Road Morral Road, Monteney Road & Monteney Crescent.

It encompassed St Peter's School, Monteney Infants and Juniors and Colley Park (formerly the corn field)

I remember walking from our house near St Paul's church to Keppels Column and back on a few occasions, which was a fair old slog

gerrit darn di, ikel du di good...

gen im a reight wollop ut back o eeod..

a wunt mind but it's not even ers..

Show us di tongue, dat never gunna put dat back in di mouth o da ?

Edited by grinder

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

yes everyone said it if thet wanted to go for a walk or just get out of the way for a bit theres lots of old sayings and traditions now long gone i hate change for no reason these are ouw traditions and to some extend owr birth right to be a yorkshire man from sheffield keep the faith

I'm loving this thread!

Have we done, mardy?

Oh bum, I've just seen 'mardy.'

I have a lot of trouble explaining Mardy to folk.

It was a common saying when I was little although it was a rem my grandad used rather than my parents. I'd be interested to know if there is any older meaning behind the term 'lump' too.

.....and we used to sey, 'shut the cake oil' :roll:

and shut thi neck :hihi:

and shut thi neck :hihi:

Neck crops up quite a lot really, if you were kissing you were "neckin", and if you asked for something you shouldn't ( being cheeky) you had a lot of neck...

I used to work for a vet who wasn't local. He often called me in to act as interpreter.

One day he shouted me because he'd asked a man where he kept his dog and didn't understand the response;

"eelivsin'tcoylhoyl"

I used to work for a vet who wasn't local. He often called me in to act as interpreter.

One day he shouted me because he'd asked a man where he kept his dog and didn't understand the response;

"eelivsin'tcoylhoyl"

hiya bus driver saying arm jam packed full,and upsadaisy. nardendeewathadoinsathink.

Edited by willybite

Can any of you older posters remember this.."goin for a walk round lump"...i said it the other day and my grandson said "what"!!!!!...:)

Is it just a Sheffield saying?

Hark at kettle calling the pot grimey arse, my mate in Nottingham stole this one from me, he says no one has heard of this version, is it just a Sheffield saying and which is the original pot black or grimey arse.