Have you heard of these sayings ?

Forgive me, I stand rebuked. It was not my intention to offend.

Mike

Another one I can remember is the saying " He came down on him like a ton of bricks".

IE. being very strict.

Don't know if this is just Sheffield..?

I partially remember a Rhyme we used to sing this time of year but I can't remember it all.

Happy new year happy new year,

a cellarful of money and a barrle full of beer ,

What came next ?

I partially remember a Rhyme we used to sing this time of year but I can't remember it all.

Happy new year happy new year,

a cellarful of money and a barrle full of beer ,

What came next ?

We used to sing

Happy New Year Happy New year

Plenty of money and a barrelful of beer

A horse and a gig and a big fat pig

To last us all until next year!

There are a lot of old Sheffield expressions no longer heard. Going round the lump was one. When dark clouds were in the sky "its black oer back o bills mothers" ever heard that one. This year an old guy accused me of "S**** ing" with my new car. Remember who we are eh

Thats S W A N K I NG didn't know the posts were censored

Edited by lordmonty

Yes i remember the saying well, the lump being around a block of houses- I lived in Pitsmoor from 1944 till 1965, at Verdon St. Sheffield 3.

How about 'blartin' or 'blahtin', like you'd say to someone who was being a bit noisy, 'Shut thi' blartin'. The term used today is 'Gobbin' off''.

How about 'blartin' or 'blahtin', like you'd say to someone who was being a bit noisy, 'Shut thi' blartin'. The term used today is 'Gobbin' off''.

hiyya my wife says things all the time like it was jam packed full, or oarflowin, or no room tu swing a cat raand,or thal be satisfied if tha gets nocked darn runnin int rooerd like dat weeart lookin, weers da ad de air cut cobblers ? that orlus luckin fer summat fer nowt, thall not be satisfied till tha gets a thick ear

I think people are mixing up words and phrases that are distinctly old Sheffield or Yorkshire(isms) with common phraseology that is used in most English speaking countries. If one wants to read back on this 'thread' there are quite a few sayings that have been mentioned, that are not necessary original and are sometimes used by everybody, although maybe in a slightly different way taking into account local dialect and customs.