Have you heard of these sayings ?

hi anyone out there who used to go to jordanthorpe school 1966-70.i lived on becket road lowedges.love to hear from old school mates or neighbours.

Here's another Sheffield word which nobody else seems to use ....

crozzled. My family always referred to overcooked crispy stuff especially bacon as being crozzled. When my Canadian wife questioned whether or not it was a legit word, I got out the dictionary and ... it wasn't there. It must be a Sheffield special.

Nowt wrong wi' that ..

Here's another Sheffield word which nobody else seems to use ....

crozzled. My family always referred to overcooked crispy stuff especially bacon as being crozzled. When my Canadian wife questioned whether or not it was a legit word, I got out the dictionary and ... it wasn't there. It must be a Sheffield special.

Nowt wrong wi' that ..

Crozzles,as far as I know were over-fired or mis-shaped bricks. We used to go and get them from the brickyard on Rutland Rd to use as hardcore.

"Crozzle" is definitely a local word; it has its origin in steelmaking. PopT commented on "crozzle" in another thread here. And sure enough - it's in the O.E.D. with a reference to Joseph Hunter's book "Hallamshire".

Edited by hillsbro

ma dog int deerd its asleeap ont rug in front oft fier

One used when you'd been very busy ?..

"I've been running round like a Blue ar$$d Fly"

Edited by grinder

thall tie a knot wi thee tongue thall not undu wi thee teeth my mum said that to us when we were getting wed

Anybody remember hearing the term 'sooner', to describe someone who was an habitual lazy b*****d; layabout; and scruffy with it? It's definatly a Sheffield term, but probably out of date now.

Anybody remember hearing the term 'sooner', to describe someone who was an habitual lazy b*****d; layabout; and scruffy with it? It's definatly a Sheffield term, but probably out of date now.

Yes, it's because they'd "sooner" do owt, than what they were actually meant to be doing..

Another one was "Scrounger", some one after summet for nowt...

Edited by grinder

I was brought up in North Yorkshire (farming area), so brought up with many of these sayings (but not lump!). We were always 'nithered' (nesh). The first time I heard nesh, it was in Lancashire! Weird huh?!

We also had "by 'eck, it's fair mafting in 'ere" (its rather hot). Anyone else use mafting?

We also use various animal related comments: gormless fuzzock (donkey), mucky 'oggit (sheep)...

Did you know that 'siling' (from siling down/raining) comes from the Norweigian verb for rain? Those blooming vikings!!

Does anyone use 'bairn'? (Used further north). Its actually old (saxon) english for child. Amazing that it has lasted so long!

Other Sheffield words I'd not heard 'til I moved here were booits & coyts (boots & coats).

hiya my sheffield word, was not coyts it was coo-ats, and booits was

boo-wits, havn't heard tatters in de socks for a long time,